Unique Coin... Finds and Question....

D

diggit

This is my first "today's Finds" post I am a newbie. My husband and I are pretty green to metal detecting but we found these this week around a local farm's pond. I know they are not real (bummer). They were found about 3 feet apart about 5-6 inches deep. The big one is from puerto rico....but there is a hole drilled through it and copy is stamped by the hole. The other made our hearts stop when we first saw it cause it looked like gold and it was unusual to us. Remember we are extreme newbies...especially when it comes to coins. Upon further inspection we realized that they are both fakes of course. My Question is,when were people required to stamp "copy" on fakes? Do you think kids might of bought these as souviners on Vacation or something? Should I clean them or leave them alone? I know they aren't worth much but it was an exciting find regardless!
Heather

Attachments

• coin\'s front.jpg
    coin\'s front.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 414
  • coin\'s back.jpg
    coin\'s back.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0
I guess I need to clarify....Isn't there a Coin Hobby Protection Act that requires coins that are not authentic to be stamped? I have only found bits and pieces of info about it on the web. What I found was that it was for U.S. coins does it include money from other countries too?
Heather

counterfeit coins are drilled so as to not be "passed off" again.i would clean and add to my collection of finds.neat finds anyway,good conversation piece.HH

Cool finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

Hey Diggit, Those are great finds and it shows your getting used to the detector too. Fake or not they are real finds and the piece of eight is definetly a fun piece. Keep on diggin and keep on posting and thanks for sharing with us. HH

I don't know when the Hobby Protection Act came into force but it apparently goes back to at least 1973. Here is the text of the marking requirements.

Title 15, Chapter 48 - Hobby Protection

Text as of 02-19-2002

Sec. 2101- Marking requirements

(a) Political items

The manufacture in the United States, or the importation into the United States, for introduction into or distribution in commerce of any imitation political item which is not plainly and permanently marked with the calendar year in which such item was manufactured, is unlawful and is an unfair or deceptive act or practice in commerce under the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.).
(b) Coins and other numismatic items

The manufacture in the United States, or the importation into the United States, for introduction into or distribution in commerce of any imitation numismatic item which is not plainly and permanently marked ''copy'', is unlawful and is an unfair or deceptive act or practice in commerce under the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.).
(c) Rules and regulations

The Federal Trade Commission shall prescribe rules for determining the manner and form in which items described in subsection (a) or (b) of this section shall be permanently marked.
(d) Exemption

Subsections (a) and (b), and regulations under subsection (c) of this section, shall not apply to any common carrier or contract carrier or freight forwarder with respect to an imitation political item or imitation numismatic item received, shipped, delivered, or handled by it for shipment in the ordinary course of its business.
(Pub.L. 93-167, ? 2, Nov. 29, 1973, 87 Stat. 686.)

Sec. 2102. - Private enforcement

If any person violates section 2101(a) or (b) of this title or a rule under section 2101(c) of this title, any interested person may commence a civil action for injunctive relief restraining such violation, and for damages, in any United States District Court for a district in which the defendant resides or has an agent. In any such action, the court may award the costs of the suit, including reasonable attorneys' fees.
(Pub.L. 93-167, ? 3, Nov. 29, 1973, 87 Stat. 686.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back