Union Clasped Hands Flask, Hypocod Wine, Beers and meds, Another Great Pit!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It was fun to get out again and enjoy the late fall season weather. It was equally great to dig a privy that dated back to the late 1870's to early 1880's. It was even better when Don pulled up a great Union Clasped Hands Eagle Flask. For us pit diggers, these don't come along everyday. In fact we are lucky to get one a year really. Not only that, we unearthed several other keepers to go along with the flask. This pit must have been in use for quite a few years considering the amount of glass, plates and pottery that was down deep.:laughing7:

The pit went to about 7 feet or so and it must have been a two seater by the width of it. And it had 9 different layers of ash and fill dirt before the use layer which was about a foot thick of glass. :icon_thumright: So it was game on as we brought back to light several beers including a cobalt Adolph Busch Glass Co. No embossing on the sides but the base had the makers mark. Never saw one of these, cool color! Also found several patent medicines including Kilmers and several local pharmacy meds. Then popped out another one we have never heard of, in fact can't really find much on line about it either. The Hypocod Wine. Really a neat flask like bottle in brilliant green from the Oleon Glassworks Co, of New York. I think thats one of the better finds next to the eagle flask. A Gettleman Brewing bottle from Milwaukee came to light as did several more fruit jars that were shattered. Took some pictures of the cleaned up flask and Hypocod wine. They turned out really nice even without a tumble.

May be the final dig before the cold hits so hears to a great season this year and hopes of more next time out. So be careful out there and keep the shovels to the dirt! :thumbsup: jgas

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 145
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 126
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 134
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 137
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 143
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 132
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 135
  • t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 159
  • t9.jpg
    t9.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 132
  • t10.jpg
    t10.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 144
  • t11.jpg
    t11.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 141
  • t12.jpg
    t12.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 128
  • t13.jpg
    t13.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 136
  • t14.jpg
    t14.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 141
  • t15.jpg
    t15.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 127
  • t16.jpg
    t16.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 137
  • t17.jpg
    t17.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 153
  • t18.jpg
    t18.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 149
  • t19.jpg
    t19.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 134
  • t20.jpg
    t20.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 135
  • t21.jpg
    t21.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 7
Very nice bottles... I just dug my first Hutch today, and i've only been digging bottles for 5 days.

wow fantastic bottle haul. those are really great. LOVE the clasped hands flask!

That was one Great pit there JGAS!! Shame they all arent like that. Great way to end the season, but u never no wat the weather here in IND will do next.. I've been lucky enuff to pull sum fantistic glass out of the canal in INDY the last few years. Wish it wood never end. Nothin better than seein the glass in the dirt, not knowin if its all there and then BAM a whole one. Glass is comin back in a big way. Keep up the great finds bud.. CONGRATS.. HH

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hope your turkey day was great. May still get out if the snow holds off for a bit. Brrr.......jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back