Union Civil War Medal

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cheapo Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother gave me this medal that belonged to my Great Great Grandfather and I've been trying to figure out what type of medal it is with not much luck. Any help from you CW experts would be greatly appreciated!

The only info I have is that it belonged to my Great Great Grandfather, Julius S. Augur of the Meriden Regiment, Connecticut Volunteers.
medal.jpg

It's not a medal, it is a US Army Officer rank-insignia. It shows a couple of rather crude gold oak leaves, which designate the rank of Major. What is its size?

Upvote 0
Good to know. Thanks Canonballguy! It's size is 1.5" x .5". Also it looks like there is a spot on the back that would have had a ribbon hanging from it maybe. Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Thanks for providing its size, which I did not know in my first reply. Its very small size causes me to modify (but not erase) my earlier analysis. It shows a miniaturized (1.5" x .5") version of a yankee Major's "shoulder bars" (insignia of rank inside a rectangular frame of emroidery or metal "false-embroidery"). The light-blue background signifies an Infantry Major. But being miniaturized, it may indeed be a custom-made medal ...which would explain the crudeness of the oak leaves. The attachment loops on the back are offset from the centerline, making space for the long straight wire which probably did hold a ribbon. That is why I don't think it is from an epaulette, nor from a larger shoulder-bar. Here's a link to a webpage which may be of interest to you: Album of Shoulder Straps Index

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks again Cannonballguy! If I may ask one more question. Would it have been custom made because they were required to have the insignia commissioned on their own as opposed to being supplied by the Army?

Upvote 0
I wonder if its a post war custom thing like an 'I survived the war here's my ribbon and rank' similar to hats people wear nowadays. I swear I've seen something similar on people's clothing in pictures of union veterans meeting after the war.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back