Unidentified railroad key found in a toolbox---SOLVED!

sschicago85

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
Hello, I found this key along with several keys in a toolbox. The toolbox belonged to someone that worked for railroad for 40 years. He retired 20 years ago and is now deceased.

There were two brass switch keys, two skeleton keys, a sargent & greenleaf 102, a key that looks like a water key and this unidentified key.

It is two inches long, is cast iron or steel, and the only marking is the small "x" on the right side. The stem is moveable or hinged.

The first picture is the front, next is the back and the last shows the stem moved to the up position.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I have posted to several boards without any success. Thanks!

Attachments

• rr black key2 front brighter.jpg
    rr black key2 front brighter.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 710
  • rr key2 black back brighter.jpg
    rr key2 black back brighter.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • black side view brighter.jpg
    black side view brighter.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 592
Re: Unidentified railroad key found in a toolbox

Hi Charlie, what do you mean by really small? It's 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. Thanks!

Upvote 0

I don't think it's for a watch then, lol that would be a little too big. I would say that by the shape of it probably goes to some type equiptment. The railraod has several types of machinery that requires keys to operate. It might even be a call box key, they had phones out there along the tracks for the maintainence guys to use. I'm not sure but someone here will see it and recognize it, good luck finding a match for it.

HH Charlie

Upvote 0

Welcome to TNet sschicago85 :hello:
I'm looking forward to learning of and hopefully assisting with, the ID of your cool key :headbang:

Mike

Upvote 0

It may be a time clock key. I remember as a kid going to visit my father at Johns Hopkins (he was in biochemistry and worked a lot of late hours) .. the security guards made their rounds and at different points along the route, there were key activated mechanical time clocks that they had to punch. The key, as I remember, was a folding key with a round stem, that was clipped to small chain on their belt.

Upvote 0

That item looks like 1/2 of a concealed hinge usually used on a secretary desk (note the countersink hole for a screw to mount it)

HH
Galt1073

Upvote 0

It might be a pocket door key. There was an ornate one in ask mark parker that I seen last week.

Wolverine.

Upvote 0

Thanks everyone!

I searched to see if I can find a time clock key similar to this one but did not find one. It appears most time clock keys have hollow barrels. Also, the attached key was found with this key and it probably was used for a time clock. It more closely resembles the time clock keys I found during my search.

Galt I don't think a screw would fit in the side holes because there are no grooves for a screw.

Wolverine I will try to find the Mark Parker post you mentioned.

I guess my curiosity will not be truly satisfied until I find one, if not exactly like it, but one that better resembles this one. I still believe it has something to do with the railroad just based on the other keys found with it and the fact that this person worked with the railroad for so long. Also, that small "x" looks like a railroad crossing symbol, right? :dontknow:

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your help!

Attachments

• rr t key back brighter.jpg
    rr t key back brighter.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 432
Upvote 0

Just wondering, have you looked at the toolbox carefully and noticed if that key\pin would fit in anywhere? To hold a drawer shut or top or anything?

Paul

Upvote 0

Hi Paul, I checked just to be sure. I poured everything out on the floor to make sure I did not miss anything and guess what?

I found another one!

It was mixed in with a bunch of screws and I completely missed it the first few times. But after everything was on the floor I saw it. So now, I have two unidentified keys! They appear to be a matching pair so they must serve the same purpose. And by the way, there are no drawers and no holes. It's a regular little red, plastic utility toolbox with a lift out tray. The handle at the top broke and was replaced with an old drawer pull. The latch on the front also broke and was replaced with a piece of wire but it keeps it closed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0

GALT 1073 said:
this is a link to a modern version of the flap hinge.. as you can see you have one half of a adjustable flap hinge. in the past they used only one screw to hold them in.

http://www.cabinetmakerssupply.com/meplacabinet_hardware_65_mnf.htm

Leo
Does he have 2 halves? I dont see how they fit together but I like the idea.. :icon_scratch:

Mich. Wolverine said:
It might be a pocket door key. There was an ornate one in ask mark parker that I seen last week.

Wolverine.
There is a pocket key in February but its not a match. http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/

Upvote 0

Hi Leo, thanks for the link! However, I don't think that this is the same thing or half of a flap hinge. I did a search and the ones I saw, including the one in your picture, are not entirely round. I know you say this is the modern version but I don't think the older version could be that much different than the modern version if they were meant to do the same thing.

Do you have any idea about how old you think the one I have is? If only one screw was used to hold the old ones in place where did it go? There is a hole at the top and one on the side that goes straight through to the other side. And, do you know what the "x" is for?

I'm not trying to be a meathead about this but I really would like to know for sure. To me it resembles a key not a hinge.

Bigcypresshunter, there is also another mention of a pocket door key in the December 2005 issue. If you search for keys, you will get the back issues from Mark Parker that discusses keys. The pocket door key in the 12/05 issue is really odd!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

I was a bit off with the discription of flap hinge, they are very close in shape, the part you have is actually a head hinge, the head hinge is what the older sewing machines used to tilt the machine head back to change the bobbin and work on the machine. the link here will take you to a web site that sells old sewing machine parts and probably give you more detail. Note that head hinges came in a wide variety of configurations, but all have basically the same general look (like yours), if you look at any old sewing machine you will see a similar hinge at the rear of the machine.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/head-hinges-for-singer-648-sewing-machine

Upvote 0

GALT 1073 said:
I was a bit off with the discription of flap hinge, they are very close in shape, the part you have is actually a head hinge, the head hinge is what the older sewing machines used to tilt the machine head back to change the bobbin and work on the machine. the link here will take you to a web site that sells old sewing machine parts and probably give you more detail. Note that head hinges came in a wide variety of configurations, but all have basically the same general look (like yours), if you look at any old sewing machine you will see a similar hinge at the rear of the machine.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/head-hinges-for-singer-648-sewing-machine
Now thats a great ID GALT 1073.

hinge singer.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back