Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 356
  • coin side2.jpg
    coin side2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 352
Kent--

I am pretty sure that is a "magician's token", but I loaned my reference on them to a fellow who managed to lose it...

They were used by magicians as part of a magic trick where it was pulled out of thin air, etc. Often times a half dollar coin was used the same way. These may have been tossed to someone in the audience as the last part of the trick. Many of them have some indication as to the name of the magician who had them made for his act.

John in ID

Upvote 0
You are right, Mrs. O!

Some of these magician's tokens are pretty common and others aren't. Probably if they are like "good-for" tokens, the minimum order was 100. If anyone is interested in seeing more exampes of magician's tokens, check out www.magictokensociety.com

John in ID

Attachments

• magic.gif
    magic.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0
Welcome to TreasureNet, Kent! I think you're going to like it here!

There was a piece similar to this one, but looped, in the January issue of Western & Eastern Treasures ("Ask Mark Parker"):

Attachments

• ET.JPG
    ET.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 296
Upvote 0
idahotokens said:
I am pretty sure that is a "magician's token", but I loaned my reference on them to a fellow who managed to lose it...
John in ID

John, I checked in Kuethe's Magicians' Tokens and Other Items, and it doesn't seem to be in there. However, there is a "Japan Magic Shop" token with a Sphinx reverse.

I might also mention that there are some early 1900's segmented watch fobs which have a fairly similar medallion, or "drop," a shown below:

Attachments

• EF.jpg
    EF.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back