Unidentifiable coin found at beach - old silver?

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I'm hoping someone can help me identify this coin I found out in waist deep Atlantic ocean waters this week. It is silver (had a black crust on it), and is the same diameter as a dime, but much thinner - maybe due to much wear. I can't identify any markings, but there seem to be some shapes showing at least on the side shown in the first pic.

3f654402.jpg

5d4d4a6f.jpg

494682dd.jpg

Jim

Upvote 0
My best guess? it looks like a bunch out from a electrical box, you should post it on" what is it ' broad. dont think its a coin? :icon_scratch:

Almost looks like an Indian head penny, but if it's silver then I dunno :icon_scratch:

Definitely and indian. You can clearly see the row of feathers on the edge. Nice find! Indians give wierd signals in many different soil types, and I can imagine you were searching very carefully to pull one in the sand.

Attachments

• indian.jpg
    indian.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 698
I agree - IH. You can see the shield (at 1:00) on the second picture (the reverse).

Weird that is looks silver though.

Surprman

If you still think it's silver, you might try this:
Take a swatch of alum. foil and place baking powder on it, then the coin then more powder on top. Loosely wrap the foil around the coin and immerse it in a cup of distilled water over night. See what you have the next AM.
Don.....

It,s a IH for sure i magnified it a few times larger the feathers are very clear you can even see some letters at 10 a clock Dd60

Attachments

• 494682dd.jpg
    494682dd.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 730

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back