Unexpected find

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out detecting a basketball tear out and was just recovering copper pennies and trash when this hit my eye while digging a target.
It looks to be a gemstone of some kind.
Without the proper tools to identify, I am hoping a garnet or ruby.
Red in color.
Has heft to it.
One side has multi facets (possibly 30)
The other side also multi but a flat surface possible due to a type of setting it went to.
CB8A54F5-0B6C-450D-8677-46FE2BFB6704.jpegC55F30F2-CF33-4AB2-B49D-67530E99D5AC.jpeg056A36D1-0174-4527-A15D-E7B28D82E6F7.png
I know it is very difficult to tell from the photos and a gemologist could probably tell quickly what it is but are there any "home" or visual tools I can use to narrow this down?
It is a beautiful piece to say the least.

Attachments

• 4EB891F9-804E-411C-8227-E7441CA2A2A6.png
    4EB891F9-804E-411C-8227-E7441CA2A2A6.png
    395 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 12
Wow, that's extremely beautiful! I love eyeball finds! Did you happen to recheck where you were digging to see if there were any others still in the ground?

Bran <><

Fun find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

It's not glass. There isn't a scratch on the table, so it's a hard stone. The color says ruby to me, very nice color and clarity. Because the color is so even, and the stone seems very clean, it may be a synthetic ruby. A real ruby chemically, but lab grown. It could also be a very nice natural stone.

It's not a natural zircon, the facet corners would be chipped from wear, and I don't think Rhodolite garnet, they're generally a bit more purplish. Tourmaline is a possibility.

You would need a gemologist to take a good look. I think it's ruby, natural or synthetic.

It may be from a class ring, knocked out by impact.

Yes I did. I was hoping to find the possible ring or pendant it may have fallen from but could not

Wow, that's extremely beautiful! I love eyeball finds! Did you happen to recheck where you were digging to see if there were any others still in the ground?

Bran <><

Yes I did. I was hoping to find the possible ring or pendant it may have fallen from but could not
Well kudos for doing your due diligence! Never know what else could be around there. Sometimes it's the one-off's that throw you the most.

Bran <><

Nice stone, it does look like something that would come out of a class ring.

I know some Ruby's will glow under a black light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back