Unexpected Find........

lkylemoore

Jan 28, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer, Nel Storm, Maxpedition Octa Versipack, Grey Ghost Amphibian
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone ~ I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to the passion of metal detecting that I have had ever since I was a kid. We are building a home and residing in a home in the country temporarily until it's done. I had some spare time this afternoon and decided to poke around our house with my fairly new Garrett AT Gold. I had some good targets that ended up being some junk and the some targets that were pretty neat. A couple of targets that I think are pretty cool were 2 shot shell head stamps. I really wasn't expecting to find anything this old because the house was built in 1974. One of the head stamps is a UMC CO NITRO CLUB No 12 and the other one is a UMC NEW CLUB No 12 with a star surrounding the primer. I have included a pic of them with this post. From what I can tell and what I have read, these date back somewhere around the extremely late 1800s and early 1900s. If someone knows details about these, I would certainly appreciate any information that you might have about them! Needless to say, I will really search the area that I found these to see what else I can find! I wish everyone the best of luck and happy detecting!!.......Kyle

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 211
Upvote 3
Welcome to Tnet, from across the pond.

No idea on these, but keep hunting...

Welcome. Whenever I find concentrations of those type of shotgun heads, I usually find IH cents and nice old silver. Dig them all-the next one might be a good coin.

Welcome to T nEt and the best hobby in the world. You will find that if you hunt a lot of woods and fields that these shotgun caps will be found more than any other item. Although neat to date, they can get really frustrating when thats all youre digging. You just HAVE to dig them because they sound so good. I have literally dug thousands of them. Theres a guy on a different forum that loves these and I send him mine from time to time.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Welcome to Tnet

Your right....mid 1890's to 1910. Welcome to Tnet .

Welcome aboard TNet! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

I always like finding shotgun shells. If you find a shell, that means someone stood there reloading. While reloading, he may have dropped his pocket knife, watch, coins or something else interesting. You have to look at the potential of that find!

Thanks to everyone for the many welcomes to the forum!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back