UK Button with Coat of Arms or Crest

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share information regarding this insignia. This button was found while detecting in England last fall.

20230416_110215.jpg

Upvote 6
Cool button. Livery for sure. Looks to be a demi-lion, rampant, gorged (collared) and chained. It looks like it might be 'ducally gorged' (with the collar as a coronet). Difficult to say whether the lion might also be holding something, which opens up a larger set of possibilities, but I think not. It might be for the Meredith family (linked below rather than imaged, for copyright reasons):

https://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/crestfinder-crest.aspx?id=160261&name=Meredith

Cool button. Livery for sure. Looks to be a demi-lion, rampant, gorged (collared) and chained. It looks like it might be 'ducally gorged' (with the collar as a coronet). Difficult to say whether the lion might also be holding something, which opens up a larger set of possibilities, but I think not. It might be for the Meredith family (linked below rather than imaged, for copyright reasons):

https://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/crestfinder-crest.aspx?id=160261&name=Meredith
Thank you for sharing your observations. I'm glad to hear that you find the design as interesting as I did. I appreciate the additional information you have provided about the button possibly being associated with the Meredith family.

You're welcome. I've enhanced your picture a bit (2 attempts) so you can see the collar and chain more clearly, but I still can't tell if the lion is holding something or not:

Livery.jpg Livery2.jpg

Any backmarks visible? Partial or otherwise?

Nice find thanks for sharing with us

You're welcome. I've enhanced your picture a bit (2 attempts) so you can see the collar and chain more clearly, but I still can't tell if the lion is holding something or not:

View attachment 2079250 View attachment 2079251

Any backmarks visible? Partial or otherwise?

I don't believe the lion is holding anything. Below is another image taken at higher resolution and zoomed in. It appears to me the chain is attached to his collar and wraps around the body coming out between the hands and tied. Unfortunately, I can't make out any detail on the back. Any idea what age this piece may be?

Attachments

• 20230416_110225.jpg
    20230416_110225.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 21
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    496.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230416_161127.jpg
    20230416_161127.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 19
I don't believe the lion is holding anything. Below is another image taken at higher resolution and zoomed in. It appears to me the chain is attached to his collar and wraps around the body coming out between the hands and tied. Unfortunately, I can't make out any detail on the back. Any idea what age this piece may be?

Agree about the lion not holding anything.

Precise dating without a backmark is difficult... and even then the possible date range can be quite wide. Most such buttons are from the 1800s, peaking in popularity between about 1830-1850 and generally going out of fashion by the turn of the century.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back