✅ SOLVED Typical corrosion or something odd?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd gather the experts opinion.

Seemed a bit strange to me. :dontknow:

2018-06-25-09-00-35.jpg
2018-06-25-09-02-19.jpg
2018-06-25-09-03-28.jpg

Just a poor old war nickel whose had a rough life?

Oh, if it helps, it weighs in at 4.69 grams.

Thanks In advance for any thoughts.

Post-mint damage and corrosion.

Maybe someone was trying to alter a "P" into an "S"?

Upvote 0
if it was dug, I would imagine it sat buried next to something made of iron such as the head of a nail

Upvote 0
I think it's a fake

Not modern fake but fake nonetheless

Looks like a bronze/cooper coin with a silver bath and where it shows that patina it's a typical bronze one

Upvote 0
Near as I can tell, either this coin was lying next to something that caused a strange chemical reaction . Hence, the corrosion.

*OR*... as I strongly suspect...something funky was being attempted. The corrosion itself seems understandable enough. But, for it to just co-ink-il-dinkily....be right over the mint mark. I suspect somebody was using acid to remove the mint mark. Maybe an attempt to create a Henning? :icon_scratch:

In any regard, a truly interesting find in my book. Boy! If it could just talk! :)

Here's a couple more for the heck of it.

0625182149_HDR~2.jpg
0625182150_HDR~2.jpg

Your comments welcomed.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
It looks like it might be 1943 over 1942 nickel, based on the barb on the bottom of the three, may just be the lighting or corrosion though. I have found war nickels with that type of corrosion, normally it is due to the large amount of copper in the silver alloy creating impurities within the metal, and then corroding. Remember, war nickels are only 35% silver, therefore they will not hold up as well as a 90% silver coin.
20140905_1943-p-ddo-0verdate-1_opt.jpg

(Not my photo)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back