🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Type of buckle

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_6318.jpeg
    IMG_6318.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
Found at 1700/1800s area I’ve never seen one with a swirl or circle like this before . Anyone can identify or date possibly
With all the horse tack buckles that I've dug, that is one that I haven't as of yet.
Well dug.

Upvote 1
NCSUwolf said:
> Assuming the leather strap would have had slits vs holes and then a snap/pin went
> through the hole in the tongue? Never seen one of those before.

Nathan W found the simplest version. Here are two photos showing a slightly more complicated version of "Locking Strap-Buckle." It could be locked by using a small lock's horseshoe-bar (can't remember the proper name for it) going through the loop on the end of the buckle's tongue-bar. This version appears in early-1900s horsegear catalogs. In my 50 years of relic-hunting, I've never heard of somebody digging any kind of locking-buckle deep in a civil war battle trench or in an army winter-camp hutsite. So I assume they are postwar.

Attachments

• horsegear_buckle_locking-buckle_TN_photobyAJE_1502117188487-564811195.jpg
    horsegear_buckle_locking-buckle_TN_photobyAJE_1502117188487-564811195.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 11
  • horsegear_buckle_locking-buckle_backview_TN_photobyAJE_2017-08-07_15021168741451040934021.jpg
    horsegear_buckle_locking-buckle_backview_TN_photobyAJE_2017-08-07_15021168741451040934021.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 6
NCSUwolf said:
> Assuming the leather strap would have had slits vs holes and then a snap/pin went

Nathan W found the simplest version. Here are two photos showing a slightly more complicated version of "Locking Strap-Buckle." It could be locked by using a small lock's horseshoe-bar (can't remember the proper name for it) going through the loop on the end of the buckle's tongue-bar. This version appears in early-1900s horsegear catalogs. In my 50 years of relic-hunting, I've never heard of somebody digging any kind of locking-buckle deep in a civil war battle trench or in an army winter-camp hutsite. So I assume they are postwar.
Guess the id popped the op's bubble, The thread fell silent.

Upvote 1
NCSUwolf said:

Thanks cannonballguy

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back