Two late 1800s houses a bust....

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Went up north a ways today to meet a guy and detect his two very small yards (which are side by side). Had about 4 hours to do this so I slowly canvassed the entire area twice in all metal mode to make sure I didn't miss anything. Well, I cleaned it out of every good target I could find and yet again the silver skunk is still clinging to my back. This is starting to get embarrassing.

On the flip side I did come away with a few interesting non-silver finds.

* Another 1935 Washington State tax token, good for 10 cents or less. And this came from a lot adjacent to the property I came to detect. :-\

* A copper Indian pendant, which on the back says "WITH THANKS FROM THE AMERICAN INDIAN CHILDREN"

* What I thought at first was a badge of some sort but could be an old tie slider. Not quite sure.

* Various clad coins and junqué.

At least it didn't rain on me, lol.

HH

Ray

Attachments

• token.jpg
    token.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 499
  • pendant1.jpg
    pendant1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 500
  • pendant2.jpg
    pendant2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 493
  • badge1.jpg
    badge1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 481
  • badge2.jpg
    badge2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 492
  • clad_junk.jpg
    clad_junk.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0
a lot of yards people think have never been hunted before, sounds to me it was cherry picked for silver at one time

Those are still some cool finds Ray!
I think you should hit those places again and do it 90 degrees from your last hunt.
Good Luck!
Mike
PS. How do you like that Safari so far?

At least you still got some neat finds....Matt

May have been hunted already ??? I've hunted some old places and walked away with nothing but modern clad. Or maybe the people who lived there never lost anything ::) Nice token though :thumbsup:

Keep it up, everybody has those days :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Yes, I realize these yards could have been detected before the current owner ever bought them. It's just getting frustrating that I haven't found a single dadgum silver coin in two months. Not even a lonely merc.

I'm beginning to think Dan (Captn SE) has pillaged this state before I ever got here. ;D ;D ;D

Mike, I really like the Safari thus far. It's not really all that difficult to learn, operates quite smoothly, signal recovery in high trash density is rather quick, and can get deep if it wants to. I'm very pleased with it, although in my opinion the $1G price tag is a bit too high for this detector.

Ray

Ray in WA said:
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Yes, I realize these yards could have been detected before the current owner ever bought them. It's just getting frustrating that I haven't found a single dadgum silver coin in two months. Not even a lonely merc.

I'm beginning to think Dan (Captn SE) has pillaged this state before I ever got here. ;D ;D ;D

Mike, I really like the Safari thus far. It's not really all that difficult to learn, operates quite smoothly, signal recovery in high trash density is rather quick, and can get deep if it wants to. I'm very pleased with it, although in my opinion the $1G price tag is a bit too high for this detector.

Ray

I think your right. Dan has caused a silver drought on the west coast ;D

Ray in WA said:

Sorry, Ray, I've never been up to WA State before. :icon_biggrin:

You might have to start rethinking about your metal detecting goals up there. I know it must be getting you down...you went out and bought a $1 K machine, hoping that would lead you to a silver bonanza. I remember you saying that you dug a very deep penny the other day, so I don't think it's a factor of depth. :icon_scratch:

The quantities/types of finds don't seem to be the same up there as they are down here. It seems like you're trying a lot of different areas to try and find what you're looking for. How about an old well-hunted park? There's gotta be a park up there with silver in it. Don't make me have to come up there and prove to you it's there. ;D ;D

Keep at it, and just have fun with whatever you find up there!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

The pendant/token to me is worth that hunt. Great job. Silver is tough to find in WA but keep at it you will be rewarded.

Captn_SE said:
Don't make me have to come up there and prove to you it's there. ;D ;D

hehe, I think you just may have to, Dan. I've been all over different types of sites. Old parks, old home sites, old schools, old vacant lots, old jail site, you name it. The one merc I did get when I first came up here came from an old 40s house site. That was the last I've seen of the silver.

I don't necessarily think a new expensive machine will get me more silver, as I did pretty good with the Tesoro Silver uMax. I just wanted to try something new. And the lack of silver finds I think has to do more with the fact that it is just harder to find silver up here for some reason.

Don't worry, I'll get over some soon enough. And I'll be doing the happy silver dance when I do. :D

Ray

mcmurphi said:
The pendant/token to me is worth that hunt. Great job. Silver is tough to find in WA but keep at it you will be rewarded.

Thanks mcmurphi. Hey, I was in your neck of the woods yesterday. Lots of old houses and lots in your town. I'm gonna have to make a trip back up there sometime soon.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back