Two Hunts in a City Park

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an old city park to meet up with McCDigg. We hunted for about 4 hours. I found a few wheats that were in pretty bad shape. The earliest one was 191?, I di get a nice 70 vdi on my AT Pro, thinking it was another penny imagine my surprise when a Mercury dime was at the bottom of my plug.
IMG_0328.JPGIMG_0329.JPG
I went back this morning to try my luck again in a different area in the park. Dug lot of trash and some clad before I got a nice 80-81 at 9" down Dug my plug and this was staring back at me.
IMG_0326.JPGIMG_0327.JPG
About a foot away I got a 50-53 signal at 7" down, thinking nickel I was surprised when I saw the buffalo after I wiped the dirt away.
IMG_0324.JPGIMG_0325.JPG
I continued hunting and I got a 48-53 at 8" down, I flipped the plug and a button was at the bottom. Thinking modern I just put it in my pouch. It wasn't till I got home that saw that it looked rather aged. While I was lightly cleaning it the backing disintegrated in my hand. Hopefully some can help me identify the button.
IMG_0331.JPG
All comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for viewing. Hope all your plugs have treasure at the bottom.

Upvote 24
sweet finds

Thanks, Goldboy.

Thanks,Scruggs.

Thanks, Jennie Lee

Awesome multiple silver and old to boot! Keep swingin

Thanks, trading.

Excellent stuff, nice to see a barber!

Nice finds. Congrats! Not sure the age but at first glance reminds me of a artillery button because it has cannon balls. At the same time sideways anchor? Maybe searching under artillery buttons youll get a ID.

Correction on my last post. I checked the book it is indeed a navy button from the civil war. Great find

Nice finds...that style of button was also very popular as a blazer button. Did the Navy button have an iron back? All of the blazer buttons did...

Congrats on some really sweet finds!

-- Jeff --

Pretty nice coin shooting for oldies there. Cool button to boot. Great scores mate.:icon_thumright:

Sorry to say the back was iron, with that said it would be civilian. Thanks for your help.

THE MERC FINDS ARE TAKING OVER TNET..

A tinned iron back could put it in the Civil War period, although that style button was used a very, very long time. Nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back