Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I must admit, I almost did a couple of Cartwheels like those Digger Dudes when that Huge Gold Chain was hanging out of my scoop this morning.

Early today I went to Huntington Beach for a couple hours to see what was left behind after the weekend. The gold chain is unmarked, weighs 57 grams, non-magnetic, doesn't test for 14k, so I'm thinking it's some sort of brass.

Then within 20-minutes of scooping the chain, the sun wasn't quite up yet, and I thought I scooped a Gold Coin. That 2001 D penny is a perfect shade of gold on both sides and I never found one like it before. I did a Google search on the date, mint, and color of the penny and found others have found them also. There was many different reasons from the feedback for the gold color, so who knows.

Thanks for looking - HH

101.JPG--102.JPG--103.JPG

Upvote 0
Shame that chain is non precious that's a crazy penny I've never seen such a thing

I would suspect some other composite metal on the chain. If it was brass it would probably not look that good, be darker, or green in color. Probably a fake gold composite.

From my limited coin experience there were certain that some have a brass look to them cause of being alloyed with or struck on brass.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I got (2) of those color pennies in change....and were quickly confiscated by the kiddies for their piggy banks. Heck, if they are worth something, the kids are going to quickly learn how to use ebay lol

From my limited coin experience there were certain that some have a brass look to them cause of being alloyed with or struck on brass.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I got (2) of those color pennies in change....and were quickly confiscated by the kiddies for their piggy banks. Heck, if they are worth something, the kids are going to quickly learn how to use ebay lol

Hi Guys ... This is what I found about Yellow Pennies

Whatzzz Up With The Yellow Penny? - Lincoln Cent Resource

Years ago, while learning to electroplate electronic contacts, I did plate a few coins and let them go into circulation.
Others were made into pendants...really eye catchers! And lots of fun with larger denomination coins...no pennies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back