Two colonial items we need help on...

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hi all. Here are two items we located this week that we are having trouble identifying. The first is the item (center first picture) that looks like a pike, but is too thin. The second is the item in the upper left, (see second picture) with the curly que on the end. It appears as if it had a second one on the same side that has broken off. The pike item is 15 inches tip to tip and the other is 5.5 inches. Thanks for the help...Lance

Attachments

• Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 111a.jpg
    Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 111a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 345
  • Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 113a.jpg
    Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 113a.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 340
  • Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 111a.jpg
    Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 111a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 113a.jpg
    Brothers Fall Hunt 2007 113a.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 350
Item one - a pointer from a weathervane?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
The shape of that second item makes me think of a coat hook. It has the flat bit in the middle for mounting on a wall or door, and the curlique bit... Ok, it's not perfect, but hey, it's a thought.
(hope this shows up)

Attachments

• coat-hook.jpg
    coat-hook.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
The item in the middle looks like a knife that's missing the handle or a spear point. It almost looks as though it was made from a file.

Upvote 0
I am going with Ant on the center piece. I am pretty sure it is a knife as a pike head would be round to fit over a long pole or would have a socket so as to maximize penetration.

OD

Upvote 0
Could it be part of a Musket?
Pictured below:
The Model 1752 (also known as the Model 1757) Spanish musket was a classic European flintlock longarm combining French, German, and Spanish influences. This, along with a slightly modified version that appeared in 1789, was the standard Spanish military musket from the 1750s until the end of the Spanish colonial period. At above left are barrel bands, a sideplate, a wrist escutcheon, and a hammer from Spanish sites in western Florida. At above right is shown an official Spanish engraving of Model 1752/1757 musket furniture as well as carbine and pistol locks and parts.

Attachments

• 1752part.jpg
    1752part.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
Tang's my selling point.....Pike.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back