Turned down to hunt a CW ferry site.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I finally went and talked to a lady that own property that was a ferry site that CW troops used alot. Alot of times the armies would spend all day crossing here and would sometimes even camp the night on either side of the river. I explained what I was doing and what I wanted to do. The lady told me that she didn't think it was a good idea and that I wouldn't find anything anyhow as they have looked the place over and haven't found anything. I told her that I had a metal detector and this is how I found items just below the surface. She told me that she had experience with them as someone had used one on the Indian mounds on thier land and left 3 foot deep holes all over the place. No point in going any further about explaining anything as she already has her mind made up. We talked a bit more about other things and I thanked them and left.
Right now I am in the process of putting together a nice article together for her about the troop movements across the ferry with a map showing where the ferry, road and camp grounds were that were on thier property. My main thing is the history. From the accounts and maps I have I already knew this place was the spot, but would have liked to have had at least one relic from the site. Oh well, at least after I give them the article they will know the history behind the land they own.

Upvote 0
That's very thoughtful of you to do that for them. Once you give it to them, maybe it will help to keep you in their memories if they ever want to change their minds. Don't forget to leave your name and phone number with the info package! Also, you might want to include a copy of the Metal Detectorists Code of Ethics, just in case.

vicki

I would have tried and explained to her that people looking for indian artifacts had dug the holes and not filled them back in, not some one with a metal detector. There would be no need to use a MD on an Indian mound...d2

Vic,
I am pretty sure she won't let me hunt it. She seems like a person who is set in her ways. I just would like for her to have some more history about the land she owns.

D2,
I didn't want to look like someone that was pushing the issue or a know it all so I just let it go. She had her mind made up and I wasn't going to convince her otherwise. Just trying to do so might have set her off and I wasn't wanting to make her mad.

I understand, if I would have been talking to her I would have done like you did. You did the right thing...d2

standing down and giving her time could only help you. Also working up some history for her also, which is very nice, may show her your not there to tear things apart but to learn and also to inform her.
Glad you gave us MD'er a good score by not pressing and then hanging and just shootin the breeze, Joe

Yep, you did good not pressing her about it. She'll remember you for not being argumentative and an a--hole.
Just out of curiosity; in your area / state do property lines end at the creek / river banks or at the center of water flow?

Th personal property lines end at the high water mark. Sadly there is no bank where you can stand on either side of the river. I haven't checked with the folks on the other side of the river since it has ALOT of houses there and has been disturbed greatly.

I could legally hunt the water, but I don't have a detector that will allow me to do so.

I would buy,rent or borrow and excal or other water machine and a hookah rig. No telling what you would find. I bet that would be a blast to hunt that crossing.

Good luck KINGPULLTAB

Good luck..but dont hold your breath......since she has already had one bad scene with a detectorist,even if he did not use his detector,she will probably not change her mind....
I hope she does though..sounds like a great place to try..
Here in Ohio you had better not get caught digging in an indian mound..even if it is on private property.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back