Turkeytail/Lostlake.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hunters, I thought I would show Ya'll these couple of points, I have brought. I rarely buy points but these were a bargain.
First the Turkeytail, its real thin.
Secondly a Lostlake, needs restoring but it was still a good buy.
These will go nicely in my next Frame I am working on.
Thankyou for lookin.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• Turkey300.jpg
    Turkey300.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 564
  • 400.jpg
    400.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 534
  • LL7.jpg
    LL7.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 585
  • LL1.jpg
    LL1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 582
Upvote 0
very nice> what kind of deal??$$$

ohioaxeman said:
the lost lake sure has one hell of a beveled edge. adds to the value significantly!

Its a crying shame its not whole though.
Thankyou for your comment.

Molly.

Molly,

Those are some nice points!! I am assuming that you won't give up your source??? I just bought some myself. We are new to artifact hunting and some of the things we are finding (Rhyolite) do not make great displays. Like you, I would rather find the artifacts then purchase, but sometimes you just can't pass up a bargin...

Nice Turkey, and I also like the bevel on the lost Lake. They also look no brainer authentic. god job Molly.

DorkFish said:
Very nice acquisitions Molly. Is that what they refer to as a Harrison Turkey Tail?

Steve, these are my first of these types, I am reading up on them still, so unsure why the Turkey would be known as Harrison :icon_scratch:
You have any info for me on the matter? :wink:

Mudonmyshoes said:
Molly,

Those are some nice points!! I am assuming that you won't give up your source??? I just bought some myself. We are new to artifact hunting and some of the things we are finding (Rhyolite) do not make great displays. Like you, I would rather find the artifacts then purchase, but sometimes you just can't pass up a bargin...

Check PM Mud. :)

Flintfinder of Mo. said:
Nice Turkey, and I also like the bevel on the lost Lake. They also look no brainer authentic. god job Molly.

Thanks John, appreciate your comment. They are authentic, I would only ever buy off reputable collectors/sellers.

Molly. :)

When people talk about TT they usually refer to the Fulton type which is almost always made from Indiana Hornstone, almost always has the outer cortex of the stone visible on both the tip and the base of the piece, and are usually very large and wide with tiny little bases like the ones in this picture. I know these are casts, but they are casts of actual TT and are classic examples. These types are usually found in Caches and almost always ceremonially killed. There have been rare occasions where they are found intact in a Cache.
turkeytailgrouptimdillard.jpg

What Molly has is called a Harrison Turkeytail. I'm not sure exactly why, but that is thier name.

Here is a link to Harrison Turkeytails.
http://www.theaaca.com/typology/Turkey_Tail_Harrison.html

Hope this helps you Molly.

ohioaxeman said:
harrison is the type of flint. from kentucky!! i think harrison county! am i right? anybody?

Yes, you are correct, it's from KY, from what I read from Harrison Co.

Steve, Thankyou for link, these are new to me. I am studying KY types/materials.

Thanks for the comments & help, much appreciated..

Molly. HH.

Real nice points, I really like those Turkey Tails. That Lostlake could be a Thebes as it is really beveled. A lot of Lostlakes are not beveled or only slightly. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks! :wink:

newnan man said:
Real nice points, I really like those Turkey Tails. That Lostlake could be a Thebes as it is really beveled. A lot of Lostlakes are not beveled or only slightly. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks! :wink:
SoIll said:
I believe a lost lake is a thebes.

Really guys, well I haven't a clue really, Like I have said I am noway familiar with these types.
Hopefully Matt will give us some input, (I hope).
Thebes are another type I like though, so that would be cool with me.

Molly.

I don't know how to insert a link so here's a quote,"Thebes points were named in 1967 for examples that were found near Thebes in southern Illinois. There are several different varieties of Thebes points that are recognized within what is called the Thebes type cluster. Some of these sub-types are called the Cache variety, the E-notched variety, the Ohio variety, and the Lost Lake point variety."
Pete Bostrom Lithics Casting Lab.
Check that site out...Everyone!

SoIll said:
I don't know how to insert a link so here's a quote,"Thebes points were named in 1967 for examples that were found near Thebes in southern Illinois. There are several different varieties of Thebes points that are recognized within what is called the Thebes type cluster. Some of these sub-types are called the Cache variety, the E-notched variety, the Ohio variety, and the Lost Lake point variety."
Pete Bostrom Lithics Casting Lab.
Check that site out...Everyone!

Thankyou soIll, very interesting, its great to learn about other types.

creekhunter said:
You go girl! I am very partial to KY flint types myself! :thumbsup:

I too am partial to KY materials. Thanks for taking the time to comment guys.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back