Turkey Hunting/Metal Detecting

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I generally take my detector with me to hunt old home sites. Turkey hunting goes cold around 11:00am so I go "scratch" around in the leaves with my feet when I get ready to dig a target....sounds just like a hen turkey feeding. Doesn't work all the time but it worked this morning!

I was digging only my third target when this fellow sounded off at 50 yards or less, I barely had time to grab my gun and get situated. This is a "find" of the season for me.

For what it's worth, the third target is still there, gonna have to go back soon. The other targets were mason jar lids......

Attachments

• DSCF0224.JPG
    DSCF0224.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 447
Upvote 0
Nice Find 1320.

Congrats !

I think its the grin on your face that gives it away......

Damn, good eatins! Nothin beat a cold turkey, stuffing, cranberry and cheese sandwich! NICE hunting!!

Great one 1320! Turkeys may not be all that smart, but they are very skittish and difficult to hunt! How much did old tom gobbler weigh? HH omnicognic 8)

22 pounds, 10.5 inch beard, 1 inch spurs. Probably a two year old bird.

Dumb enough to fall for my feet moving the leaves but instinctive enough to bolt when I blinked my eyes.......he did a 180 and was gaining ground in a hurry but my #6's (HeaviShot) caught the back of his head.

As you can tell in the picture, I'm inspecting the back side of the bird for damaged feathers, right Pete?! ;D

free2Dtect said:
Interesting pose! Looks liike you plum wore that turkey out! LOL ;D
ROFLMAO

Well so long as nobodys standing behind me thats one hell of a bird. At 22.5 that will feed the whole family and then some. Nice shot ( with the gun)LOL

Floater said:
free2Dtect said:
Interesting pose! Looks liike you plum wore that turkey out! LOL ;D
ROFLMAO

Well so long as nobodys standing behind me thats one hell of a bird. At 22.5 that will feed the whole family and then some. Nice shot ( with the gun)LOL

LOL!

at both post!

Nice bird 1320 = YUM!

Im with ya 1320. I didnt know if ya saw before I deleted it.Accepted.

Ok enough with the love fest around here lets eat. ;D

Really nice bird. congrats.

Jimmy

Awesome 1320!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bird!!!!!!! I am in turkey hunting mode myself right now, although they aren't being too cooperative. And I tend to disagree about the turkey being stupid!! There are plenty of longbearded gobblers in PA that die of old age!! Although their brain is the size of a peanut, they sure are a challenge to call within shotgun range! Scratching in the leaves is one of my favorite techniques for calling in call shy gobblers, as this is a more natural sound than walking around the woods doing a bunch of loud yelping on a friction or diaphragm call. Our season came in on Saturday, and we have until Memorial Day weekend. Good luck to all you "hunters", of both types!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice! Those little lead 6's, will give you some grief on next years huntin and scatchin!

No turkey tag for me this spring. >:( Or bear. :-[ Or javelina. :'( What I did get as a result is renewed interest in TH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back