TS Sterling & little gold 2-13-14

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Thursday I took yet another (surprise) trip to the TS. New jewelry was out on display and right away I noticed several pieces marked 925... with some help from the price tags that they so arrogantly marked "925" on as well as an over the top amount.

IMG_2528.JPG

The first piece I moved on was one of the most expensive at $14.96. For a dainty sterling necklace & amethyst pendant, it certainly wasn't worth near that in scrap and probably not much over that on a resale. However, the TS failed to realize (or so I assume, as the price tag was marked "925") that the chain was in fact white gold and marked 14K. Weighing in at 0.6 grams, the chain is worth enough as scrap to make my money back. The pendant will be beautiful if I can get it shined up. Heck, I even like the tarnished silver against the purple.

IMG_2529.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG

I continue to check to selection of new sterling pieces.. but most of which were lightweight and not anything special. I did decide to pick up a 9 gram Celtic pendant just under spot. Nothing particularly special about this piece other than being marked sterling and catching my eye. Best case scenario is it catches someone else's eye when I go to sell it. Worst case scenario, it's just another silver investment.

IMG_2530.JPG

I search the remainder of the display cases and notice a necklace coiled up in the back of the bottom case. Hardly noticeable unless you bent down low. It appeared to have gold beads between what appeared to be tarnished beads. After closer inspection I found the 925 stamp on the lobster clasp. Apparently, the pricing department did not. The gold beads are just plated over sterling, but the necklace does weigh in at a total of 20 grams for $12 in scrap.

IMG_2532.JPG

Lastly, I picked out a bright white metal necklace. Big chunky looking thing with a toggle clasp and heart pendant attacked. Magnet didn't stick to it, but I couldn't find a stamp anywhere. I fumbled with it for another minute or two before eventually locating the tiny 925 stamp on one of the links. Pricing department had set it at $5. My scale says 66 grams or $42 in scrap.

IMG_2533.JPG

I believe all of these pieces are fit for resale and hope to make over a hundred with these pieces. I will have to pair a sterling chain with the amethyst pendant and a gold pendant with the 14K WG chain, but I expect both to do well. The chunky necklace is a wildcard. I see Tiffany and other high dollar brands going used for $200+. Maybe I can stretch and get $80 for mine to the right buyer.

If anyone knows what the Celtic pendant might mean, I'd appreciate you sharing that with me! :P I did a little research on what pendants similar go for, but I haven't found one that appears to have the same design yet. I'll have to keep digging.

metal_detector.gif
Nice buys. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks vpnavy, but you don't have to to thank me for sharing every time. :) I enjoy other members' posts and hope they enjoy mine as well. Besides, members often give priceless feedback - much of which has allowed me to find the pieces that I do. My posts are just evidence that anyone can do this with the right guidance.. so thank you and treasurenet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back