Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I've had no luck in the coins section so I thought I'd try a post here as well. I'm trying to ID these coins, found metal detecting in England, and would appreciate anyone's help.
I think the second one is the Emperor Constantine.

1p.jpgir.jpg

2p.jpg2r.jpg

3p.jpg3r.jpg

Thanks for your help.
regards
Frank

Nice finds. :icon_thumright:

1. Valens or Valentinian I - SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm.

2. Constantine II - GLORIA EXERCITVS Two soldiers standing either side of one standard.

3. Constantinople Commemorative (Roma) Wolf standing left, suckling Romulus and Remus; two stars above.

I can't make out the mint markings in exergue.
[h=3][/h]

Upvote 0
Thank you all very much. That's fantastic. I'm thinking about putting them on E-Bay. Any ideas on what they are worth?
regards
Frank

Upvote 0
Nearly all of that vintage go for very little on Ebay. Maybe $5-$10 and that's being generous since yours are not in very good condition. I'd pass them on to your kids or donate them to a local school for their history class as a cool example of ancient coinage. This is one of those situations where the story is worth more than the item. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Know what NH? You are absolutely right. I remember being fascinated by the story of Romulus and Remus in my Latin class at school. I'm going to drop them in to the school this afternoon.

Regards
Frank

Upvote 0
The first coin is probably a VALENTINIAN I due to the length of the partially visible legend on the obverse which appears much longer than the shorter version a VALENS would have i.e. DN VALENTINI-ANVS PF AVG versus DN VALEN-S PF AVG.

The second coin is not a Constantine II but his half brother CONSTANS as the obverse legend shows [FL] IVL CONSTANS NOB CAE and as the reverse shows a mintmark of •TRS• this is a TRIER, Germany minted coin from the Secundi (Second) Workshop from AD 337-340 listed as a Roman Imperial Coinage (RIC) book VOL VIII TR 60.

The VRBS ROMA coin looks like it is also a TRIER mint with the mark TR•P coming from the PRIMUS (Primary) workshop and therefore minted AD 332-333.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back