✅ SOLVED Trying to i.d. two buttons

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Hello all!

I have two buttons my friend and I found recently that I've been trying to identify; They are both 7/8" round and found in an area that has seen continuous use since the mid-late 1700's.

The area where they were found was also a campsite/outpost during the Civil War, but I doubt they are from that time frame. The pictures are sorry, but if you look closely at the first button you can see a braided rope draped across the center of the "A" button, leading me to think it may be of military origin, however, I can't find anything like it after very extensive research. There is a small amount of gold left on it though.

The second button is one piece and has a domed shape with "wheels" or some such around the face. The shank is soldered on and very solid.
I'd really appreciate any help you folks could give me! I'll be in and out, but will definitely follow up!

Regards and thanks,

Sky Pilot

Attachments

• 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 081.JPG
    081.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 084.JPG
    084.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 85
The patterned one is circa 1880.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much, Crusader!

I had no idea what period it was from and your information is a tremendous help!

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Anyone have a suggestion about the "A" button?

I know that if it can be identified, you folks are the ones that can do it!

Thanks,
Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Anyone have a suggestion about the "A" button?

I know that if it can be identified, you folks are the ones that can do it!

Thanks,
Sky Pilot
I have seen this style letter button before. I have a few, they are made with every letter in the alphabet and the style can be found on the Waterbury site. Date range 1880-1940 [url]http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/showSearchResults.asp?VA=1&ProdSort=&PageStyle=h&customfield=0&SearchValues=&exact=0&keyword=a flat&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=9999999&idCategory=0&IdSupplier=0&withStock=&IDBrand=0&order=3&SKU=
[/URL]
I believe they are civilian. The Waterbury site has them listed as Career Uniform. 8041 - Waterbury Button My guess this button was on a civilian uniform and the company name began with A.

Here is a similar A. I have not been able to find the exact match. View attachment 634845View attachment 634851
It most likely matches the set below but I cant find the A.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome Big Cy!!!

I KNEW that you all would I.D. it!!!!

I'm marking this one solved!

Many thanks to all who looked and especially to Crusader and Big Cypress for solving this!

Regards,
Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Here is one of my buttons. Its a T. The backmark is S.Eisner but I think these were kinda generic. Also Waterbury bought out many other companies. Your backmark looks like Superior Quality.
View attachment 635062

Upvote 0
That sure is a great looking button you have, Big Cy!

I didn't know that Waterbury bought out other companies, but that makes sense.....

Yes, the backmark on the "A" button is "Superior Quality".....

This may be a silly question; I mean, I know a whole lot of uniform buttons and others over the centuries, were marked with things like "Superior Quality", "Standard Quality" and something " Gilted", but I was wondering if these are company names or sales brands of Waterbury and other manufacturers?
For instance, a USMC button recently found has "D. Evans & Co., Attleboro", which is obviously the manufacturer, but was "Superior Quality" a company bought out by Waterbury or a trademark of Waterbury?

Thanks again Big Cypress! :notworthy:

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
That sure is a great looking button you have, Big Cy!

I didn't know that Waterbury bought out other companies, but that makes sense.....

Yes, the backmark on the "A" button is "Superior Quality".....

This may be a silly question; I mean, I know a whole lot of uniform buttons and others over the centuries, were marked with things like "Superior Quality", "Standard Quality" and something " Gilted", but I was wondering if these are company names or sales brands of Waterbury and other manufacturers?
For instance, a USMC button recently found has "D. Evans & Co., Attleboro", which is obviously the manufacturer, but was "Superior Quality" a company bought out by Waterbury or a trademark of Waterbury?

Thanks again Big Cypress! :notworthy:

Sky Pilot
I dont know who used the SUPERIOR QUALITY backmark. I would imagine it was a generic mark used by several companies. Its possible that Waterbury made your mark because they often manufactured buttons for other companies. I will have to look in the button backmark book that CannonBallGuy sent me or maybe he knows..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My book has "SUPERIOR QUALITY" listed as used by the Scovill Manufacturing Comapany but that doesnt mean it was limited to Scovill.

Upvote 0
Okay, I see now!

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me and all your other help Big Cy!!

I really appreciate the time you spent on this, you rule! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back