✅ SOLVED Trying to help someone ID this beautiful piece. Got any ideas?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.26.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.26.15 AM.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.30.56 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.30.56 AM.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 103
here you go,
A lead cartridge box plate believed to have been lost by a member of the Portsmouth Light Artillery while fighting from Craney Island to repel a British amphibious raid in 1813 piece,
found in the 1950s, has two cannon tubes, indicating it was worn by an artilleryman. Courtesy Portsmouth Naval Museum13_Oct_1813_Portsmouth_Artillery_Cartridge_Box_Plate.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know exactly what it is but I like it. But I'll give you something to think about. The style of the eagle with what appear to be cannons, along with the shield, wreath, stars and rays all suggest military to me, early military. The design is pre Civil war era. I'm thinking 1812 era, cockade eagle hat device, an early Dragoon regiment maybe. I know some of the earlier devices were struck in pewter and some with thin brass and lead filled backs with double wire fasteners on the back. That's my two cents for what it's worth.

edit- Nevermind i'm a day late and a dollar short as usual.

Upvote 0
You're the best, Nova! Greatly appreciated! Hope you have a great Christmas!

Upvote 0
Well I know for a fact those were Ingrahams clock pendulums , so are the others misidentified or did they star copying box plates as pendulums.
The one posted looks like it was a pendulum to me, you can see were the iron rod ran down the back and rusted.
IngrahampendulumEagle.jpg

Upvote 0
Should mark this post as solved

Well I know for a fact those were Ingrahams clock pendulums , so are the others misidentified or did they star copying box plates as pendulums.
The one posted looks like it was a pendulum to me, you can see were the iron rod ran down the back and rusted.
View attachment 913835

Well maybe I have marked it solved too soon then! :tongue3: That is good stuff there Taz .. Can you direct me to the source of your photo? Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input everybody .. Have a great Christmas! :hello:

Upvote 0
Since the clock pendulum's are made of white metal and the box plates are made of lead can't we determine which one it is by the metal composition? Or is the Va. Nat. Guard website incorrect altogether?

Upvote 0
Hi all, New here. My search lead me here becasue i found an exact item just like pictured here some 25 yrs ago. Did anyone ever determine what exactly it was?

i have heard clock pendulum and plate off an old cartridge box.

Thanks in advance

Pics attached Eagle Plate.jpgEagle.jpg

Upvote 0
I think with the remnants of the iron in the back, that is pretty definitively a clock pendulum.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back