✅ SOLVED Trying to figure out what this is smashed bullet it, or somethign else?

jamiekeefer

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange item. Was back at the ball field. I have been working an area that seems to be recessed due to auto traffic, or something wearing down the grass. It's where I found the last large cent. At first glance I thought it was a copper coin that was highly corroded and thick as a result. But further review has me thinking it's a bullet that made contact. Were there vintage lead bullets with copper cores/tips? Take a look and let me know what you think.

WP_20130821_20_02_05_Smart.jpgWP_20130821_20_01_28_Smart.jpg

Last edited:
It looks to me like a lead seal. See if you can find where a couple of small wires have rusted off. That would tell you it is a seal.

Upvote 0
It looks to me like a lead seal. See if you can find where a couple of small wires have rusted off. That would tell you it is a seal.

No obvious remnants of wires, but I like your idea. Would lead seals sometime have a copper "label" stamped in to one side? The uniformity of the circular green oxidation is too symmetrical for me to ignore.

At one point I pondered, maybe it was a copper coated bullet and the green part was a the bottom and was mostly intact while the rest was corroded long ago having been mostly broken up on impact.

So far, though, I think your assessment makes most sense. I wonder what it might have sealed if that is the case.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most did have something stamped on them. I have one that has a date of 1854, while another has the gauge of wire.

Upvote 0
If it was a bullet it wouldnt be as flat as it is on both sides,unless it was stood up on a hard flat surface and hit squarely with a hammer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back