Trying to date handmade glass pitcher

This one is similar shape and color but crackle glass. Hand blown but no other info.

35582367_1_l.jpg

Upvote 0
I also agree. They are famous for the "dirty Glass" It is blown from recycled glass therefore the crud and bubbles.
Could be as early as the 1910's all the way through the 1950's Not much value but some people collect it. Elvis owned a piece.

cheers

Upvote 0
I politely disagree. This is not bubble glass like Blenko or holmgaard. This is not intentionally placed bubbles, this is from blowing junk glass. It is definitely cool and has a collector following but this is not bubble glass.

Cheers friends

Upvote 0
I cannot find any similar just the crackled glass ones

Upvote 0
A couple more pics

Held up to the light

Upvote 0
I also agree. They are famous for the "dirty Glass" It is blown from recycled glass therefore the crud and bubbles.
Could be as early as the 1910's all the way through the 1950's Not much value but some people collect it. Elvis owned a piece.

cheers
I believe it was made in the last 30 years tops.
Yep. Agree. It's called bubble glass.
It's a beautiful piece.

Here is a link explaining the techniques.......

Bubble Glass
There is a huge difference between the "bubble glass" mentioned in that link and the piece shown on this thread as already mentioned.

Upvote 0
I agree with Dig, this thing is modern, like maybe made "yesterday". They sell these things at places like Pier 1, and many "gifty" shops. It is also not "art glass".

Upvote 0
So it's pick on Gary day? *pulls big boy pants on*

Anybody read the first sentence of that link explaining what bubble glass is?

"Bubbles can occur in glass because the glass maker intends it, as part of the design, or because the techniques are so crude that bubbles remain....."

Nowhere did I say this is ART GLASS or BLENKO as has been attributed to me. I said it is bubble glass and it is beautiful. At least in this part of the country, where we find tons of Mexican bubble glass at almost any flea market, it would be called bubble glass. To the good folks who wrote the glass encyclopedia it would be called bubble glass since it meets the criteria of having bubbles.

I apologize. It was never my intent to mislead anyone into thinking it was ART GLASS OR BLENKO, and having never made that claim, it seems stupid to be apologizing for it having been attributed to me.

*sigh*

Upvote 0
So it's pick on Gary day? *pulls big boy pants on*

Anybody read the first sentence of that link explaining what bubble glass is?

"Bubbles can occur in glass because the glass maker intends it, as part of the design, or because the techniques are so crude that bubbles remain....."

Nowhere did I say this is ART GLASS or BLENKO as has been attributed to me. I said it is bubble glass and it is beautiful. At least in this part of the country, where we find tons of Mexican bubble glass at almost any flea market, it would be called bubble glass. To the good folks who wrote the glass encyclopedia it would be called bubble glass since it meets the criteria of having bubbles.

I apologize. It was never my intent to mislead anyone into thinking it was ART GLASS OR BLENKO, and having never made that claim, it seems stupid to be apologizing for it having been attributed to me.

*sigh*
No need for apologies. I read the first statement of that link before I posted. Your right, it does fit the definition of bubble glass, but even depression glass with unintentional bubbles don't appear this crude. It was the part about it being a "beautiful piece" that I was at odds with. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me it just screams ugly. That's all. Nothing personal. For that matter, I don't care for crackle glass either. I actually saw a bunch of Mexican glass today at a sale, I thought of this thread when I saw it.

Upvote 0
No need for apologies. I read the first statement of that link before I posted. Your right, it does fit the definition of bubble glass, but even depression glass with unintentional bubbles don't appear this crude. It was the part about it being a "beautiful piece" that I was at odds with. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me it just screams ugly. That's all. Nothing personal. For that matter, I don't care for crackle glass either. I actually saw a bunch of Mexican glass today at a sale, I thought of this thread when I saw it.

Okay, you think it is ugly.

Perhaps I should have quoted, "Bubbles occurred during the pressing stage when air got inside the mold. Bubbles are a part of the making of pressed glass and are also considered acceptable. They do not signify an original piece or a reproduction as it can occur in any type of glass, depending on the quality of the glass maker and quality of the mold," instead.

Of course, if the statements about the number of unintentional/random bubbles determines its worth, then why is this piece worth $700 dollars?

6127.1L.jpg

Upvote 0
Okay, you think it is ugly.

Perhaps I should have quoted, "Bubbles occurred during the pressing stage when air got inside the mold. Bubbles are a part of the making of pressed glass and are also considered acceptable. They do not signify an original piece or a reproduction as it can occur in any type of glass, depending on the quality of the glass maker and quality of the mold," instead.

Of course, if the statements about the number of unintentional/random bubbles determines its worth, then why is this piece worth $700 dollars?

View attachment 1138371

In reference to the first part of your reply, "Bubbles occurred during the pressing stage when air got inside the mold. Bubbles are a part of the making of pressed glass and are also considered acceptable. They do not signify an original piece or a reproduction as it can occur in any type of glass, depending on the quality of the glass maker and quality of the mold,"

The article you quoted the statement from is talking about Early American Pressed Glass, the piece being discussed on this thread is a mouth blown piece. Apples and oranges.

In reference to the latter part about the number of unintentional/random bubbles determining worth, that was never said by me or anyone else on here that I can see.

The difference is the bubbles in the Schneider piece are intentional and it takes a master to blow that piece and not have any bubbles "pop" at the surface. It's value is determined mainly because it's a quality piece that was made by a well known glass maker. The Daum factory (in which the Schneider's used to work) also produced bubble glass that was similar. The high value of either does not make it any less ugly to me personally. That's my opinion I'm entitled to it, just as you are to yours.

Upvote 0
Let me try to help here.
seems to be... a little "crossing" here...
Bubbles purposely "put" in glass is called "controlled bubble glass" folks.

The bubbles in this vase is considered "crude" glass...
And is NOT a molded piece... was hand blown... prolly in mexico... and prolly from the 60's-70's...

ehhh and one more thought that just occurred to me...
This color is not indicative of Mexico glass...
Could be from Greece...
Blue like this is big in Greece.

Somehow I missed RELICDUDE's post...
He was on target from rip.

Here is a picture of "bubble glass"...

untitlejhjhgd.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree. The vast amount of seed bubbles is the biggest clue.

Way too many assumptions to continue.

You're assuming the guy didn't want the bubbles in the first piece and you're assuming the Schneider piece was somehow planned.
If the OP's piece had been made by a well known glassmaker then it follows, it was intentional, by a master glassblower?

And you didn't state the above quote.

I'm not at odds with your opinion. Opinions are sometimes all we have to work with.
Opinions are what lands treasures in garages sales and junk shops.

My purpose was merely to determine the criteria used in evaluating the piece.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Should I just throw it up for auction and see what happens lol

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me why there are little tiny pieces of steel in the glass

Upvote 0
Way too many assumptions to continue.

You're assuming the guy didn't want the bubbles in the first piece and you're assuming the Schneider piece was somehow planned.
If the OP's piece had been made by a well known glassmaker then it follows, it was intentional, by a master glassblower?

And you didn't state the above quote.

I'm not at odds with your opinion. Opinions are sometimes all we have to work with.
Opinions are what lands treasures in garages sales and junk shops.

My purpose was merely to determine the criteria used in evaluating the piece.

Thanks.
No reply necessary.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back