Trunk, footlocker, ice chest? Help

2higuy

Greenie
Mar 21, 2009
Hilton Head Island, SC
Would appreciate any ideas identifying what this trunk or chest might truly be. Very heavy, as the interior of the lid is lined with some sort of white stone material. Has a brass or copper name badge on the lid, with brass hardware. Think the handle on the front of the lid was added later, just doesn’t seem to match the other hardware. Interesting light wood interior liner with galvanized metal edge band, that is removable, all very tight fitting, lid to liner, etc. Measures approximately 2’x 14”x 13”.

Very interesting, any help is appreciated! Thanks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545765578.755342.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545765600.945547.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545765614.546822.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545765626.146201.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545765634.264371.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545765651.180900.jpg

I'm thinking an old cooler

Upvote 0
I'm thinking you've found an old milk cooler box.
The idea of a heavy lid might suggest asbestos ... don't know, just tossing it out there.

Added: A picture.

Milk Cooler.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm thinking an old ice chest that the delivery ice wagon could put the block ice in. The customer would later put it in their ice box.

Upvote 0
What type wood is the inner box made from? If it held water or ice it would have to be something like cypress. I'm leaning toward some type foot locker.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses. Not sure on the type of wood the liner is, but don’t believe it would of ever held water. That said, I was thinking cooler myself due to the heavy lined lid but found it odd having just a wood liner and not tin, as most you see are. I could believe short term porch milk cooler though.

Thanks for all the input.

Upvote 0

I'd like to see a picture of the bottom of this piece. :thumbsup:
I don't see this being designed for holding ice, as there's nowhere for the liquid to drain,

The handle on the front of the lid was added to assist in lifting the extra weight of the lid.
If this was designed as an 'ice chest' as mentioned, why the need for a brass lock?

The side lifting handles don't look strong enough to carry the weight of ice plus the weight of the chest itself. :icon_scratch:
Besides, look at the dimensions, that would be a mighty small ice block.

This has obviously been designed for a specific purpose... but for what we'll likely never know.

I'm thinking it's American or English-made and dates to the turn of the last century.

Dave

Upvote 0
I see two details that don't look that old.

1. The top is veneer.
2. The liner is not dove tailed.

The liner, which appears to be made of clear pine would be a good insulator especially with the air space between the liner and outer box. The stone material in the lid would be a good insulator against the effects of sunlight on the top. The handles on the ends are antique but may have been salvaged off an older piece. It looks like a well made Colonial styled porch milk box for a old vintage home. I'm thinking 1940s or 50s. The inner design of the lock might me a hint. A skeleton key type would perhaps ad some age to it. My guess is, it got rained or snowed on and was discarded because the veneer on the top came loose. Also the "Stone" in the top may be asbestos board.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did a little research on the Bothwell name. They made cheese. This could have had something to do with transporting cheese. The metal removable lid to box liner made it tight enough to keep rodents out. The removable lid could be flipped over and used for a cutting table.

Upvote 0
I was going to ask if there is a drain hole. Maybe they hadn't been invented yet. But I'll go with some sort of cooler.

Upvote 0

I'd like to see a picture of the bottom of this piece. :thumbsup:
I don't see this being designed for holding ice, as there's nowhere for the liquid to drain,

The handle on the front of the lid was added to assist in lifting the extra weight of the lid.
If this was designed as an 'ice chest' as mentioned, why the need for a brass lock?

The side lifting handles don't look strong enough to carry the weight of ice plus the weight of the chest itself. :icon_scratch:
Besides, look at the dimensions, that would be a mighty small ice block.

This has obviously been designed for a specific purpose... but for what we'll likely never know.

I'm thinking it's American or English-made and dates to the turn of the last century.

Dave

My first thought was English as well; however the only thing I can find on the company is Ginger Beer, and it turns out that their bottles are very collectable. OP should post his trunk in that forum where those bottle people are, its like have the missing metal case for coke or the wooden beer crate for beer companies.

Upvote 0
Lots of good thoughts. I will add photos here of the bottom, lock, etc. I believe the lock may have been a simple push button with no key lock, similar to a cedar chest. There is no drain. Aside from the bottom, the exterior is all veneer not just the top. I have included a photo of the interior wood that is not veneered. The nameplate is L.D. Bothwell and doesn’t appear to be a business. Having found this box locally, a 2017 obit directs me to a line of Military men being L.D. 1, 2 & 3. But that doesn’t tell me much about the box.

Either way, it’s an interesting box.

Again, I appreciate all the input. Thanks!ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545871159.110853.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545871191.792362.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545871216.295323.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545871231.392795.jpg

Upvote 0
Maybe!

Name:
L D Bothwell

Residence Years:
1998-2002

Address:
79 Deerfield Rd

Residence Place:
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA

Zip Code:
29926-1933

Phone Number:
843-681-3639

Upvote 0
Maybe a box used to send War Loot/Souvenirs home. Some of the crates/boxes used to send stuff home during and after WWII were pretty elaborate. Some had boxes built, some made them themselves from equipment/parts crates, and some used boxes, chests liberated along with their souvenirs.

Upvote 0

Thank you for posting the additional pics of your chest.
With Phil and Mike's info above, it sounds like you might have the information that you're looking for on your piece. :notworthy:

I also noticed there's something written in black paint on the inside bottom of your chest?
I wonder why the base of the chest looks to be unfinished?
It has no feet to lift it off the floor and the bottom is a simple two board construction and appears to be unfinished?
Either that or it sat on something else like a stand or possibly on top of another chest? :icon_scratch:

I'm currently the caretaker of a c1790 British Military Chest that belonged to a family member, I think this is why your chest is of interest to me.
So many questions... hope you get your mystery box solved,.
Dave

PS. When I get home later this morning, I'll post a pic of it. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back