Tried to connect with another local relic hunter

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Back in the 90s, Darrell and I would occasionally see another relic hunter in a field along a main road a few miles from us when we were driving to out to our fields.

It never failed, when we were focused on getting there, we would see him. When we had lots of time to do anything and we were out screwing around, we never seen him.

Time moved on as it does, by definition, and I stopped seeing him. But I still go by that area often.

I got married and divorced, was single almost 20 years, and married again. My wife has a hobby that takes here close to that field where a person started a business at their home in a pole barn. I would go with her sometimes. I looked up the field in my plat book and seen that this business person just so happens to own the field. Bingo. One day when I was there with my wife I casually inquired about the field and the possibility of looking for rocks in the field. Well as luck would have it, her husband also collects and does look in the field, so no permission. Not really a big deal I thought as I have plenty of fields, I do have permission in.

Could it be the husband IS the same person from the 90's? Well, I checked the Who's Who In Indian Relics Index's of names. I did not see him there. Ah but I do find him in a 90s' list of names in the BACK of a Who's Who In Indian Relics where other collectors have their contact info in the event another collector is travelling and in the area.

Thats interesting I thought. So, I took one of my chapa Indian Relics books, wrote my contact info on a slip of paper and the next time I was at the shop, I gave it to his wife to give to him to check out. Thinking he may contact me and we could chat or do some show-and-tell of relics.

three months later no call, no text, zip.

that's an interesting action from someone who placed thier contact info in a book so they can be contacted.

oh well that's the way it goes
could be he has been very busy and life takes a priority.

life is a state of mind.

Upvote 5
Well it was worth a shot. You never know. He may come through when you least expect it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back