Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a complete point, or so I thought. Canā€™t decide if the weird spot at the base is from a break at the notches or just a spot not addressed, maybe to avoid losing that triangle shape. It would be off center if it was a break. What do you think?
IMG_2456.jpeg
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2457.jpeg
IMG_2462.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg
IMG_2466.jpeg
IMG_2463.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg
IMG_2468.jpeg

Oh and Iā€™ll throw in the other base I found, solid day for me especially this year mostly due to the pottery in the other post that is so scarce around here
IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpeg
IMG_2451.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 4
I never feel bad finding broken artifacts. It just means you're in a good area. When I lived along the upper Arkansas river in Colorado I'd search the same areas over and over and being delighted I found anything in any condition. Then in the same areas I searched dozens of times before a complete artifact would just appear waiting to be picked up. It was most likely there all the time I looked covered in a thin layer of dried pine needles and then a strong wind or dust devil came along and scattered all those pine needles away leaving the beautiful artifact behind.

A a kid & young man we searched the farmers fields along the Scioto River in Ohio. At the time plowing was the norm, so most of what was found was damaged. Still, I have dozens of smaller points that are undamaged, even a handful of big ones. The same fields year after year produced points after being plowed. With no-till farming now, those days are long gone.

donā€™t get me wrong I even keep the flakes and like my brokes, I was hoping that big base was bifurcated so I could narrow down the Iā€™d but i donā€™t think itā€™s strong enough of a dimpleā€¦ I just know this forum has lulls and I like to contribute when I can but a long string of brokes and fragments feels like people would be rolling their eyes.

No plowing here but i definitely know the what you mean about going back, I walk my yard all the time and occasionally a point or a broke will pop up in a place Iā€™ve been over 100 times, when I mow I make many passes over certain areas to get the grass short and the dust blowing. Good stuff really can be just millimeters out of view.

Hereā€™s one spot I walk, first discovered flakes and a few small points in the rootball of a tree fall, hence the name, itā€™s been super productive but those full points are hard to come byā€¦ I started drawing them out and marking them on a map to keep track
IMG_2522.jpeg

Last edited:
A a kid & young man we searched the farmers fields along the Scioto River in Ohio. At the time plowing was the norm, so most of what was found was damaged. Still, I have dozens of smaller points that are undamaged, even a handful of big ones. The same fields year after year produced points after being plowed. With no-till farming now, those days are long gone.
Field walking just isnā€™t the same anymore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back