Treasurehunting at the reef???

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Hello guys,
Yesterday I went diving and took my Sea Hunter. Did anybody ever do some hunting on popular snorkel or divesites??? I tried, but only found a little junk earring, maybe silver earring(still need to clean it). I guess at the entrance areas there should be lots of stuff??? What do you think? Or are the divers more cautious about jewelry than beachers...... aleman

Hi aleman...I dove a popular dive site with a detector once helping a guy look for a very expensive necklace he lost while diving there. We found about 40 pounds in lead weights, fin strap buckles, eye glasses, keys, trash...and his necklace. Way more trash than treasure...but I did find two pouch weights that I still use today. My best treasure of the day was the 12 pack he bought me when I wouldn't accept money for helping him find it. :D

Jason

When I went on my honeymoon in '98, i brought my detector. 1st day there, the wife and I went on a snorkel trip. I jumped into the water with my hand in a fist to keep my ring on. I already told my wife to leave her rings in the room.

As soon as my head broke the surface of the water, I heard "F@#$", and I looked down. the couple that jumped in right after me BOTH lost their rings. Where the boat was anchored was about 70', with a short wall up to where the "easy" snorkelling was. Myself and the divemaster made several attempts to get down to the bottom, but we couldn't find the rings... they buried themselves real quick in the sand.

I told the couple... no big deal, I'll just bring my detector back on the next trip, I'm sure they won't have a problem with it. So we finished the snorkelling trip, went back to the resort, and I grabbed my dive gear and surfmaster pi... and back out I went. We arrived, and I hopped into the water, and went directly down to where the rings fell. The divemaster from the first trip was with me, and after about 20 minutes, I had 6... count em... SIX rings in my BC, not counting a couple bracelets, a really nice ROLEX dive watch and some assorted change.

We had some time left, so we swam over under one of the other boats from a different resort, and did a search under that one too. We found a couple rings and some change. When we got back to my resort (Sandals, St; Lucia), I went to the couple's room, and they picked out their rings. then I went to the front desk and said I had found some jewelery, and if anyone lost anything at the dive site, to please contact me.

Later that week, I returned 1 of the rings and that ROLEX (damn). and over the course of the week, I got called twice to the volleyball pit to find rings. I came home with a good haul, and several bottles of REALLY nice RUM from some of the other guests.

DEFINITELY take the detector... especially to resort spots.

Steve you did real good at that site. I would have liked to have been there in that clear water.

sandman
Now I wish i wasn't on my honeymoon when I was there... I had literally started detecting about a year before that trip.... If only I knew then what I know now. I would have parked my butt next to the dive center and been out on EVERY dive... I could have talked to the wife later.

the day I left, I was talking to the guys at the dive center, and they were asking why I wasn't out in the water every day (I was still a newbie... and thinking that most of the finds would be in the dry sand). They proceeded to tell me about the number of honeymoon couples that got into fights and either lost, or tossed jewelry (engagment rings) into the ocean.

Hmmmm... i'm thinking it might be time to take the wife on a second honeymoon... And I'm taking a lot more experience when I go ;D

OH HONEY YES!!! A second Honeymoon! WHEEEE! How absolutely wonderful, lovely, caring, and romantic! Please wear your sexiest metal detector accessories… Ahhh yes, the moonlit walks on the beach, you me and that hot new search coil. Frolicking in the sand with your underwater earphones and a ping pong paddle… Oh darling, let me hold your mesh bag…

She must be one UNDERSTANDING woman…

Hey, come to think of it, she got a single sister?

LMAO... yes she is very understanding. Not quite that understanding... And no... she doesn't have a sister.

I was talking with a guy and his wife-they go diving a lot.
They told me a very intersting story about how they went diving last year on one of those Rental Dive groups and saw a lot of cannons sitting on the bottom.They thought it was part of the dive so did not say a word to anyone.
It was several months later they found out it was NOT.
THEY SAID THAT THEY CANNOT REMEBER THE LOCATION.
They are on a diving vacation but said that as soon as they get back they will tell what diving company they used. They also said that this Diving Company takes people diving along a reef (the same reef) every trip.
More latetr
Peg Leg

aleman said:
Hello guys,
Yesterday I went diving and took my Sea Hunter. Did anybody ever do some hunting on popular snorkel or divesites??? I tried, but only found a little junk earring, maybe silver earring(still need to clean it). I guess at the entrance areas there should be lots of stuff??? What do you think? Or are the divers more cautious about jewelry than beachers...... aleman
I don't think divers lose too much jewelry, but you can find lots of equipment.. knives, weights, dive watches, etc.

Indian

It isn't the experienced divers that lose the items (although I've found some knives, computers, weights, etc). I think what aleman was originally asking was about the "tourist" spots for snorkelling and diving. The inexperienced are the ones that always lose the good stuff. And tourists usually qualify as those inexperienced guys... you know the ones... "I got may PADI cert 15 years ago and haven't dove since..." They're the ones that will drop gear.

And besides... it usually isn't the divers that drop jewelery... its the snorkellers and tourists. I've seen people drop things from boats (and when jumping in). When you go to some of the "dive sites" or snorkel sites at some of the carribean resorts, you can find a lot of stuff. So many boats and dive companies dock at the same sites day in and day out, that there is a high probability of people losing items, and you finding them.

steve

spez401 said:
Indian

It isn't the experienced divers that lose the items (although I've found some knives, computers, weights, etc). I think what aleman was originally asking was about the "tourist" spots for snorkelling and diving. The inexperienced are the ones that always lose the good stuff. And tourists usually qualify as those inexperienced guys... you know the ones... "I got may PADI cert 15 years ago and haven't dove since..." They're the ones that will drop gear.

And besides... it usually isn't the divers that drop jewelery... its the snorkellers and tourists. I've seen people drop things from boats (and when jumping in). When you go to some of the "dive sites" or snorkel sites at some of the carribean resorts, you can find a lot of stuff. So many boats and dive companies dock at the same sites day in and day out, that there is a high probability of people losing items, and you finding them.

steve
Agreed. I guess I didn't read carefully enough. I didn't have the heavy tourist spots in mind. I've found a lot good dive equipment though, and undoubtedly as you point out, coming from inexperienced divers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back