Treasure Hunting

ohigan

Mar 4, 2005
Hello everyone! I am looking for information on treasure hunting shipwrecks along Florida's Treasure Coast. I am searching for laws and other information regarding where and how you can search for it. Some sites say you can't take metal detectors in the water to look for treasure other sites don't mention it but give you tips on when and where to look. I am confused about the salvage rights also...I would love to do some diving to look for treasure but I am not sure where I can take a boat, or do the diving. How do they determine the radius in which a salvor has rights to? What do you have to do to be designated a salvor and not a looter?How many wrecks are spoken for? Does an opportunity exist to dive anywhere along the treasure coast without violating salvage rights? These are the types of questions I am seeking info on. Does anyone have some knowledge to dispense, or know where I can go to find answers? Thanks!

Ohigan, this question gets asked every so often, and I have a canned answer in word, so if some of this sounds like an indirect response you will know. I would also like to welcome you to the forum. Happy hunting!
There is not one source that I have found that you will be able to find that has a comprehensive list of laws dealing with salvage. Each nation may, or in many cases may not have laws to deal with salvage within there territorial waters. In the case of salvage in international waters see Admiralty and Maritime law at (http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/)
In the case of salvage in US territorial waters, you will be dealing with both the state and federal government (http://www2.cr.nps.gov/laws/ship.htm). Each state will have its own laws dealing with salvage within its waters. For example, Florida waters extend out three miles from the low tide line (http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/); except for down in the keys you are looking at about 12 miles out.
I have been told over and over that you can not use a metal detector under water in Florida without a permit, especially along the Treasure Coast of Florida. This is just plain false. There are no Florida laws that prohibit you from diving with a metal detector. It is true however, that you must stay out of leased sites, and out of some protected habitats. Additionally, you must abide by Florida law should you find anything on the bottom and recover it. As a diver you are responsible for knowing these laws and locations before you dive with your detector.
You can dive on these wrecks if you so desire. However, be advised that you should not have a metal detector in the lease sites, and you must stay 300 feet away from the dive boats that are working the leases.
The following excerpt is from the contract between the state and the Mel Fisher group in Sebastian Florida. (http://www.imacdigest.com/)
BENT ANCHOR S32G 27.55.7N X 80.29.12W; East to 27.55.7N X 80.28.57W; South-southeast to 27.53.28N X 80.27.24W; West to 27.53.28N X 80.27.68W; then follow the mean low tide line to point of beginning.
CABIN WRECK S27 27.49.8N X 80.25.55W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of mean low tide line.
DOUGLAS BEACH S26 27.25.3N X 80.16.50W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
POWER PLANT S25 27.21.2N X 80.13.65W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
ANCHOR WRECK S23 27.48.2N X 80.24.70W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
SPRING OF WHITBY S23 27.46.0N X 80.23.83W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
RIO MAR S23 27.38.3N X 80.20.90W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
SANDY POINT S23 27.35.8N X 80.19.65W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
UNKNOWN S23 27.19.0N X 80.12.30W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
CORRIGANS WRECK S25 27.46.2N X 80.22.67W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.

Thanks for the response wreckdiver. I knew I was probably beating a dead horse with my questions but after surfing online for hours on end I figured I would jump in and ask.

Do you know if any of the links you provided will lead me to find a chart showing where the currently worked wrecks of the treasure coast are located to aid in plotting out where one can dive without being in violation of a lease area? I have been looking all over but can't seem to find a site with this info.

Thanks!

Ohigan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back