trash or treasure?

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
i found this. there are no markings. it is not attracted to a magnet and appears to be yellow throughout, i broke a small peice off.

i just took it to a pawn shop. i said i want to sell this for scrap if its gold.

the guys says "uhhhh.... i think im gonna have to say no....."

(the guy didnt do any tests on it or anything, just looked at it.)

i say "well is it real gold?"

he says "uhhh....i dont think so"

me "ok, thanks anyway"

if its trash then i want to throw it away. how can i tell? its no loss at all if its trash, i found it laying on the ground.

thanks for your help! :)

Attachments

• P2061300.JPG
    P2061300.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 649
Stones appear to be tiger's eye? It is hard to tell if something is gold or not just by looking at it. Have someone else take a peek and see what they tell you.

Upvote 0
Stones are definitely tiger eye.

Are any of the links broke? If so take it to a jeweler and ask if it is worth having it repaired or is it just costome cheap jewelery-- free quick appraisal.

Just my method
Joe

Upvote 0
Looks like really nice Tiger's eye to me. The line separating the two tones is really nice. Better than most.

Daryl

Attachments

• tiger2.jpg
    tiger2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 547
  • tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 533
Upvote 0
What is tiger eye? tiger-eye.jpg
Tiger's eye is a yellow to reddish brown gemstone composed primarily of silica, therefore, it is in the quartz family of minerals. Amethyst and citrine are two other gemstones in the quartz family.

In the case of tiger eye, silica has replaced the original fibrous mineral in the gemstone. Due to the fibrous nature of the original mineral, it displays a chatoyant effect. Chatoyance refers to the quality in which light seems to 'run across' the surface of a gem stone. In the specimens on the left, the face of the rock has been cut and polished revealing the 'chatoyant', or 'dancing light' effect.

The natural color of the stone is usually yellow to brown, heating and other permanent treatments are used to acheive the more red and blue colors.

Tigereye is mined primarily in South Africa and Western Australia.

Upvote 0
definately tiger eye.

certainly take it to a jeweler.
If a repair is out of the question,
you could always make some girl happy
with a pair of earrings and a pendant.
(a jeweler can do that pretty cheap,
just add a bail to one to make a pendant,
and take another 2 and buy posts with little
rings hanging from them for attachment.)

Upvote 0
nice tiger eye----- while not super high dollar its nice . might be sterling silver setting

Upvote 0
i would like to thank everyone for the replies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back