Trash day find! Five gallon carboy jug and seven pounds of pennies!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking out the trash in my nighborhood last night and spotted a large jug next to a trash barrel. Thought it might be plastic, but decided to give it a look anyway. When I got closer, I noticed there was something copper colored in the bottom of the jug. It had seven pounds of zincoln Lincolns in it! Plus, the jug was heavy glass and a carboy from the 1950's! Why anyone would toss out pennies (or a carboy) is beyond me!

I wrapped the pennies today and ended up with $12.42 in pennies, plus 75 cents in nickels, dimes and quarters. Grand total is $13.17 and the carboy is probably worth $25 or more. Not a bad night trash picking!

carboy 1.JPG

Upvote 32
Checking out the trash in my nighborhood last night and spotted a large jug next to a trash barrel. Thought it might be plastic, but decided to give it a look anyway. When I got closer, I noticed there was something copper colored in the bottom of the jug. It had seven pounds of zincoln Lincolns in it! Plus, the jug was heavy glass and a carboy from the 1950's! Why anyone would toss out pennies (or a carboy) is beyond me!

I wrapped the pennies today and ended up with $12.42 in pennies, plus 75 cents in nickels, dimes and quarters. Grand total is $13.17 and the carboy is probably worth $25 or more. Not a bad night trash picking!

View attachment 2079004
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

View attachment 2079004
Treasures are one finds them. Great hunt!

Congrats! I bet the bottle is worth way more than the coins!

that's crazy

Yup, pretty foolish to throw away 13 bucks in change. They could have taken it to my local Stop & Shop and gotten 11 bucks for it at the Coinstar machine.

Congrats! I bet the bottle is worth way more than the coins!

That's what I told my friend who was with me! I gave her the coins and I kept the carboy!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still stunned that someone would put seven pounds of coins out for the trash. They weren't even doing it to be nice to someone, since they put the carboy behind their trash barrels. I just happened to spot the jug and turned around to take a look at it.

You simply never know where (or why!) you'll find the next treasure. Nice recovery Tim!

Thanks, Jeff! Safe to say, I'll be checking out that guy's trash again this Thursday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back