Translucent brown and white rock, please help ID

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock today, the brown part is translucent and the white part is not. It seems to have small pebbles encapsulated in it as well as some black specks that almost have a snowflake shape to them. I cannot scratch or leave any mark on it with a knife blade. I have no idea what it is. Any ideas? IMG_20180412_012400489.jpgIMG_20180412_012439032.jpgIMG_20180412_012412990.jpg15235187489451340049859.jpgIMG_20180412_012354015.jpg

Try posting this in the Rock forum. My opinion is an agate, definitely has chalcedony markers, and some nice translucency.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, I'll have to look some of those things up! I'll post it in the rock and gem section as well. Kray, I was wondering if it could possibly be fossil, it came from deep in the ground. There are a few other similar pieces as well but more white with only small spots of translucent areas.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, I'll have to look some of those things up! I'll post it in the rock and gem section as well. Kray, I was wondering if it could possibly be fossil, it came from deep in the ground. There are a few other similar pieces as well but more white with only small spots of translucent areas.

I was looking at the structure, and it didn't look like any typical mineral growth. And not your run of the mill petrified wood. Doesn't resemble animal. I figured plant fossil, and the only example I could find, where the growth radiated from the middle, with a defined center, was gymnosperm, with some resemblance to lepidodendron. If you know a rock hound with a saw in your area, and asked them to slice a cross section, it would make any ID more accurate, and would probably be surprisingly interesting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back