Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello fellow diggers! So I identified a couple of areas that I could date to mid 1800s early 1900s and went to one this Saturday. Didnt find much as I was mostly scouting and narrowing down the area I will have to detect. Lots of shotgun shell butts - good sign since plastic shells were introduced in 1960s, so there is a chance for modern silver as well.

Found a token that at least to me looks to be from late 1800s early 1900s - I would like to hear your opinions or more information about the company, any info is appreciated. Picture is attached and thank you all for your input.

Happy digging!

20171202_212945.jpg

Do you have a photo of the obverse side as well? It will better help with the ID

Cheers :occasion14:

Upvote 0
The back side is completely blank, except for ridge that can be seen on this side as well.

Upvote 0
Token catalog has unknown listed.
Screenshot_20171204-050330.png
Looks like your not the only one that dug one still scratching there head. Maybe your pic could fill the void n the catalog.

Upvote 0
When I first saw this and seeing also that you are in Florida it made me think of this token and a possible "Naval Stores" turpentine industry, company script.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/384487-trade-token-help.html

I don't know for certain this is what it is from. I did find this newspaper article from The Tampa Morning Tribune, May 12, 1900 which indicated that the firm of "Peacock Hunt & Co." was heading to the area from Savannah. They were one of the biggest firms in the south. Again just a guess though!

Attachments

• peacockhunt.jpg
    peacockhunt.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
I'd agree with Bramblefind that it is likely to be from the naval store he found. Please do post pics to tokencatalog - both sides even though the reverse is blank - and under Tampa. I can post for you with permission to use your pics and the diameter.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Some history of Peacock and Hunt:
"John Hunt became partners with Peter L. Peacock who, like Hunt, had hailed from
Wayne County, North Carolina but had been living in Georgia
for a number of years before Hunt’s arrival in that state.In
1879 they started a new naval stores business in Savannah,
Georgia called “Peacock, Hunt & Company”. Their business
was very successful and they were regularly included in reports
that discussed the different companies who were producing large
yields of turpentine. The business was initially located on West
Bay Street near the Customs House but moved to different
storage facilities along the waterfront as their business grew.
Although the business that Peacock and Hunt had started was quite prosperous in Savannah, it did not stay
contained within Georgia state lines. On 3 May 1901, a massive fire broke out in Jacksonville, Florida, which
burned over twenty city blocks and destroyed most of the business district along the waterfront by the St. John’s
River. Many turpentine companies in that section of the city went up in flames and perhaps Peacock and Hunt saw
an opportunity to expand their business literally from the ground up.
The city of Jacksonville began to rebuild immediately after the flames of the great fire had subsided. One of the
largest structures to be erected during that time was the “West Building”, built by Peacock and Hunt’s new partner,
John W. West, whose primary business was in lumber. In July 1901 on the corner of West Bay and South Laura
Street, the foundation for a 5-story brick building was poured and by 1902, the “Peacock, Hunt & West Company”
naval stores commissary was in full operation."
The dates mentioned above will give you a range of years that Peacock, Hunt and Co. were the sole partners--and the date range of your trade token.
Don...
Source: (page 3 here):https://www.google.com/search?ei=dX.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.132....0.LvpW7-VM6hs

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back