Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone help ID this trade token? It was found in the NYC area. I tried finding it on the site below with no help>

TokenCatalog.com

alex skidulsky obverse.jpg

alex skidulsky reverse.jpg

In 1918, Alex Skidulsky was a tailor for a store in Manhattan. In 1930, Alexander Skidolsky was a dry goods merchant in Manhattan. This was probably the same fellow - which is the spelling on the token? I can't be certain. This type of token doesn't look appropriate for a NYC dry goods merchant - it looks more like one from a cigar stand, so I will keep looking. I'd encourage you to post it on tokencatalog.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
In 1918, Alex Skidulsky was a tailor for a store in Manhattan. In 1930, Alexander Skidolsky was a dry goods merchant in Manhattan. This was probably the same fellow - which is the spelling on the token? I can't be certain. This type of token doesn't look appropriate for a NYC dry goods merchant - it looks more like one from a cigar stand, so I will keep looking. I'd encourage you to post it on tokencatalog.
John in the Great 208

Thanks for the help. The spelling is Skidulsky.

Upvote 0
Spelling errors make for a difficult time when attributing mavericks! Of course, he may have evolved the spelling of his name over the years. This guy shows up in a number of NYC references as Alex Skedelsky - he even printed & signed his WWII Draft registration that way. He said he was employed in his own store at 1961 Clinton Ave, Bx, N.Y. and resided at 1940 Clinton Ave, Bx, N.Y. He did not indicate what sort of store he had, and I would thing that Bx indicates Bronx, but those addresses are in Brooklyn. It would not surprise me that if he had his own tailor shop that he may have had a cigar/candy counter in conjunction with it, but I think I am out of places to look.
John

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back