All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• i1.JPG
    i1.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 835
  • i2.JPG
    i2.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 802
Cool find moe :thumbsup: It does look like a old toy cannon,you may want to clean that up a bit,. Buckleboy will be by in a bit to give you all the cleaning tips ;D

Upvote 0
I have seen toy cannons made of cast iron and steel both. They were rigged to fire using carbide. Monty

Upvote 0
A few miniature toy cannons were found in lower Manhattan during the early 1980's that date directly back to the Revolutionary War. On page 141 of my book " New York City's Buried Past " A Guide To Excavated New York City's Revolutionary War Artifacts, I have a excellent picture of a toy lead cannon that was recovered from Fulton Street and Water Streets

Regards Simon.....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Run "picture of toy carbide cannon" through yahoo and you will see 4 that are cast iron. Monty

Upvote 0
Re: toy cannon? Update

I was able to remove all encrustation from this little cannon. I did almost 200 hrs of electrolysis at 6V 1 AMP and then 12V 1AMP. I had to use a light hammer to loosen up some of the encrustation and then continued the electrolysis. Here are new pictures after the last treatment. I will coat it with a protective product to prevent further corrosion in a few days.

HH!

Moe

Attachments

• tc1.JPG
    tc1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 564
  • tc2.JPG
    tc2.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 556
  • tc3.JPG
    tc3.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 549
  • tc4.JPG
    tc4.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 557
  • tc5.JPG
    tc5.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 575
Upvote 0
I think it is bronze, what do you know think that the most of the crust has been removed.
Like Cru said, many times things appear to be iron but are indeed bronze, I have had this many times.
The iron around another object grows and encloses the bronze structure.

Funny that it is bent however, that makes it look less like a cannon...

Upvote 0
That appears to be much older than the carbide cannons I was referring to. Modeled after the oder type cannons on Spanish galleons,etc. That being the case it would almost have to be bronze or similar alloy. I haven't a clue how old or it's origin. Monty

Upvote 0
If it is like the other toy cannons I have seen that were functional, there will be a hole close to the back and the barrel will be hollow.

It sure looks like a toy cannon but if it is solid with no ignition hole, we need to look in another direction or it is not a functional toy.

Back in the electrolysis bath? Or did the end show solid metal?

Daryl

Upvote 0
I am done with electrolysis. It is solid (no holes) and heavy. There are small markings on the surface. I think it is an iron alloy because it is magnetic. It was found in a Northeast Florida beach.

Moe

Upvote 0
Bronze/Brass with no ignition hole or barrel. It may not be a cannon. Maybe it is part of some ship rigging.

Daryl

Upvote 0
is brass/bronze magnetic? I thought if magnetic it has to be iron related...

Upvote 0
Oops. :'( I didn't read the post very well. I was remembering the post where they said it was brass/bronze. If it is magnetic, it is ferrous. Sure did clean up good. Still vote for a piece of ship rigging.

Daryl

Upvote 0
hmm no bore hole or ignition hole probably isnt a toy cannon in that case :-[

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back