Topaz?

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I walked by that lady's house again who was having a early morning yard sale and I stopped to look at her stuff one more time, there was a box of rhinestone jewelry, everything looked scratched and faded or foggy except for these so I took a chance and bought them, they weigh 0.7 each, I'm not familiar with gemstones to much but it scratches glass easily, I went into a dark room and shined a light on them and it reflected the color of the stone only and the specific gravity is 3.5, I'll have to have them looked at to know for sure but I only paid 2 dollars for them which would be awesome if they turn out to be topaz.
20190820_061734.jpg

Last edited:
No, what's weird is in the pictures it looks light purple/pink but when looking at it with my eyes I just see the light pink color, it could be a trick of the sunlighting idk but when I shined my sw uv light which was barely working it turned bright green, it's a head scrather, could they be diamonds, I know its regularly blue they glow but sometimes they glow other colors I think?

Upvote 0
It's so weird, no matter the lighting they look a different color in pictures than when I'm looking at them lol but this is closer to the light pink I see, I dont think amethyst glows green under sw uv?20190820_163254.jpg

Upvote 0
So I kind of dont want to feel silly walking in with these, this is the newspaper test and I'm pretty sure they are not diamonds, fog goes away quickly, the bright green and not mustard yellow had me thinking I might of really got lucky but it doesn't distort enough does it?
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thnx.
20190821_132950~2.jpg

Upvote 0
SOLVED, cubic zirconium, first pic is my stone, the other I got off the web, still weird how bright green a cubic zirconia got under a sw uv light so maybe its another kind of gemstone but it sure ain't a diamond.
20190821_144742.jpgmain-qimg-b58c31d00287df759246493e3914ab57.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Two dollar chance, oh well. There wont be a next time unless they are raw and I find them out in the desert somewhere, that's where I need the luck lol. I don't go around to yard sales or look for jewelry, this was me walking by a house with a dog. Thanks for the reply,
Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's so weird, no matter the lighting they look a different color in pictures than when I'm looking at them lol but this is closer to the light pink I see, I dont think amethyst glows green under sw uv?View attachment 1744814
Amethyst can glow under a blacklight, it depends on the location it is from. Some quartz can have been irraidiated (sp?) in certain areas, I don't know the science of it however.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I for one second almost started dancing when they lit up green and I got that specific gravity, I'm using a gram digital scale, each stone weighs .7 3.5 carats, I divided the weight of the stone and the weight of the stone submerged in a cup of water, I even balanced out the thing I made to catch the stone and I got a specific gravity of 3.5, I googled 3.5 carat loose pink diamond and my eyes popped out of my head lol, then I did the fog test and amazingly it dissipates instantly, I thought I had the score of my life smh, then came the newspaper test :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Yeah my head is still scratching on that one, maybe a synthetic spinel?

Upvote 0
Screenshot_20190822-142957_Chrome.jpg
Hmmmm maybe my scale is off or I'm doing something wrong.

Upvote 0
Took it in, its synthetic spinel, great for costume jewelry lol.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back