Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-926584494.jpg
    image-926584494.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 101
Well, I can't tell you where it was from or the full name of the company, but that sort of "piecework" token was used by many canneries and packers on the Eastern Shore. Not being familiar with how things were done there, I can just suggest that "1 B" represented one bushel, basket, barrel, or box of whatever food was being processed in the plant. It was sufficiently vague to allow the company to use it in multiple scenarios if they wished. For example, if they were processing oysters, it might be used as follows. The workers would do whatever they do to oysters as they come off the boat and pack them into a barrel. When the barrel was filled, the worker would receive a token from the foreman of the production line. At the end of the shift, the worker would turn in all of his or her tokens to the paymaster and receive the going rate per barrel times however many tokens were turned in. If then the plant changed over and started processing tomatoes, the token would represent processing one bushel and would be used in the same way.

I do not have the Maryland token book (yet) so can't check to see if it is in there, but most likely the piece is from your area. You could see if your local library has old city directories for ca. 1900-1920 and go through the classified section looking for canneries or other similar type businesses, or the "A" section looking for the company or somebody with those initials.

John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Thanks that's what I thought it might be. There was a local cannery across the river, ill have to research the name. Thanks again

Upvote 0
It looks like an early 1900's store token, most likely good for one bushel (hence the 1B). Maybe if you look at some old town records you can see if you can find that store. https://archive.org/ has some good town records going back to the 1800's. Cool Find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back