Token help!?

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve posted (college tends to get in the way of detecting), but anyway got to go out today and hit up a site I’ve been to before. I found a broken ring? broken skeleton key along with an 1893 barber dime, 1897 V nickel, 1893 Indian head, 1896 Indian head, and an 1876 British One Penny. Also got a great eagle cuff button with some nice gilt left.

I was wondering if any of you guys out there with a token book can help me out with my token. The only thing I’ve been able to find online is that there was a Golden eagle hotel in Sacramento, California but it was opened by different proprietors than the ones listed on the token.

Thanks for the help! Good luck out there, and HH :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530064183.238189.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530064264.774767.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530064281.049580.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530064291.638018.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530064307.079238.jpg

Nice token! It's in great shape too, looks like you made the best of what spare time you had...excellent saves! Ddf

Upvote 0
Hi nice finds, Congrats:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
That is a very nice token. The hotel may have changed hands over the years and kept the same business name but with different owners. Your token may be from someone who purchased the hotel from the original owners ? Just a thought.

Upvote 0
unfortunately I found "golden eagle hotel"” Mentioned 10,624 Times
with worldwide locations

From Puerto Principe ,Haiti
in an 1855 Washington D.C. Paper

000aaa.jpg

to

1933 "at Engel's" ? also in a Washington D.C. Paper

000bbb.jpg

The Full List https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1&sort=date

Not a Single One Mentions a Lowdon or a Woodward in Connection with an ad or Article.

I don't know if this means it's a fantasy piece, or if it's newer then 1933 or
was so small it never got attention in the papers :dontknow:

hopefully someone here can track it down.

nice piece though :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the look Jeff! It was found in Nevada along the old railroad so who knows where it’s from. I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
As eye found, your token is listed in the Kappen California Tokens book as Redding. Even with that listing, I would not be 100% confident that Redding is the correct attribution as Kappen did not provide any references to support his attribution. I did some looking in early Redding listings and don't find the proprietors' names, but will keep looking. Tokencatalog needs an image of the piece - with your permission I can post yours - or you can do it. Thanks!
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
As eye found, your token is listed in the Kappen California Tokens book as Redding. Even with that listing, I would not be 100% confident that Redding is the correct attribution as Kappen did not provide any references to support his attribution. I did some looking in early Redding listings and don't find the proprietors' names, but will keep looking. Tokencatalog needs an image of the piece - with your permission I can post yours - or you can do it. Thanks!
John in the Great 208

As best I can tell, the Golden Eagle Hotel in Redding was owned for much of it's existence by the Gronwoldt brothers. There was also a Golden Eagle Hotel in Reno built 1880 and burned in 1929. I could not find any proprietors names that matched the token.

Upvote 0
sweet finds thats amazing hope its valuable

Upvote 0
Nice token! Here's support for the Redding, CA attribution. These are from:

Free Press Saturday, Jan 16, 1892 Redding, CA

and Free Press Saturday, Apr 23, 1892 Redding, CA

Attachments

• goldeneaglehotel2.jpg
    goldeneaglehotel2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 55
  • goldeneaglehotel.jpg
    goldeneaglehotel.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0

good find :notworthy:

So I'd guess it's at Least Pre Apr 23, 1892 When Woodward Retired

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you look closely at Bramblefind's first citation (newspaper ad from the Free Press Saturday, Apr 23, 1892) the small text at the bottom reads:
"Only Fire-Proof Hotel In Town."

It is therefore perhaps a bit ironic that the hotel burned to the ground on Sept. 22, 1962.
At least, that is if I'm reading this online article correctly:
The fiery end of the Golden Eagle Hotel

Oh, I wanted to edit my post to add a few tidbits.
Apparently, the area was called "Poverty Flats" prior to the railroad, and the later "Redding".
Kind of a neat name, actually.

The article above mentions the hotel was built in 1888.
The town of Redding incorporated in 1887 (though the name was probably in common use before then, tracing to an 1868 effort to acquire land for a railroad terminus).
So, the hotel's construction seems to coincide quite nicely with the railroad coming to town.

One more edit...
What would really be cool is to find the companion tokens !!!
Apparently, there was a cigar shop in the same hotel called the Golden Eagle Cigar Store.
See those tokens here: https://www.grindstoneclub.com/complete-history/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
John in the Great 208

If you could post my images that’d be great! I’m often using the app on my phone and I can’t really get that done using the phone. THANK YOU for the help!

Upvote 0
As best I can tell, the Golden Eagle Hotel in Redding was owned for much of it's existence by the Gronwoldt brothers. There was also a Golden Eagle Hotel in Reno built 1880 and burned in 1929. I could not find any proprietors names that matched the token.

I found these maybe a 3 hours drive away from Reno, so I’ll look into that more! Thank you a bunch!

Upvote 0

Thank you! I think that confirms where the token came from! I appreciate all of the help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back