Bluebird

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Berks PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS2 --&-- Garrett Master Hunter Deep Seeker VLF/TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I recently detected in my yard and is what I think may be a pool hall or slot machine token from the 30's to avoid prohibition in slot machines and the serial# is the # of the establishment it came from, is that correct? Is there any value in something like this? Research showed different ones for anywhere $9 to $45 but when I found this one, there was no value attached. I'm in Eastern Pennsylvania if it location matters. Thanks for you for your time tokenn.JPG

"Numbers tokens" are one of the mysteries that we may never unravel. The tokens were used in slot machines, vending machines, or other types of "trade stimulators" placed in pool halls, cigar stores, etc. The number probably indicated a "route operator" who came around periodically to service the machines, collect the money, and fill them with tokens. A customer would put a nickel in the machine, pull the handle, and usually get nothing. If he hit a jackpot, out would come one or more of these tokens. The customer could then use the token to buy candy or 5¢ worth of something else from the business. He might also be able to use the token to play the machine, but the hole in the center might be what the machine used to detect a "slug" and refuse it. Or, he could put the token in his pocket and walk out, the token would then fall through the hole in his pocket onto the ground, and it would sit there for years waiting for metal detectors to be invented.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Cool, thanks. I'm sure if it were worth $1000, Rick would only offer me $100 and I'd have to walk

Upvote 0
I found the very same token today in Easton PA! Any info on this?

Upvote 0
For the people who've never been to tokencatalog.com, you are better off going to their home page, here: TokenCatalog.com.

There it explains who they are and what they do.

Thanks, Friend, for providing additional info.
Your contribution surely adds to Treasurenet's sources of information!

Best Wishes,

Scott

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just want to say that, from reading his posts over the years, any information provided by Idahotokens pertaining to tokens is about the best you can get.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back