✅ SOLVED Token, Central Bar, Good for one drink.

Bedrock Bryan

Mar 14, 2015
Oregon and Central to Northern CA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab GP3500, Goldbug 2, Deus...high frequency and stock coils, Equinox 800, and Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 sided found in Yuba county CA. There is a....-A- below "Good for". Collender compy on reverse. Looks like "CHERK on bottom on reverse.? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453001262.368623.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453001481.930346.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah just have a shitty iPhone camera now...thanks

Upvote 0
No doubt this is a Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co. check (token). They were the sellers of billiard tables and bar fixtures, so many saloons and pool halls had tokens supplied by them. The other side, the obverse, is the one of interest. See what else you can read there besides Central Bar. Many, if not most, Brunswick tokens are mavericks, meaning they don't have the town and state on them. There was a central bar in a lot of towns, so hopefully you can see something else. Maybe taking another photo with a flashlight or some light source coming in from the side to highlight the letters would help.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Those photos help immensely! The obverse is called a "slug plate" die which was made in three parts. First was the outer part that says Good For above and Drink below. That part was machined out to hold two inserts. The first just has the -A- on it and the second was a bit larger and oval-shaped, saying At / Central / Bar. Those two "slugs" slipped into the outer part to make the striking die. Richard Greever, the proprietor of tokencatalog.com has devised a cataloging scheme that helps to identify and date tokens made with slug plate and Brunswick dies. It also leads to the identification of the manufacturer, all of which are aids in attributing these mavericks to a specific location. I'd strongly recommend you posting these pics on tokencatalog so the piece can be analyzed and perhaps even attributed. If you do, please note where it was found - that is an added clue. If you'd like, I could post with your permission.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the help, I've looked at this token with a lighted 30 loupe and it appears to be generic...no town or state. This is a wonderful site thanks again all.

Upvote 0
idahotokens, you have my permission to post this anywhere you please...I need to buy a used digital camera that has a good macro lens.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I will post it. What is the measurement across the flats? In mm if you can, otherwise inches & fractions. This isn't really a "Generic" token as it was made for a specific business - the Central Bar. We just don't know at the moment where that bar was. The search will start in Yuba County, but might not end there.

Most digital cameras nowadays, including smart phones, have pretty good macro capabilities.

John
idahotokens, you have my permission to post this anywhere you please...I need to buy a used digital camera that has a good macro lens.

Upvote 0
Thanks all, I've been traveling/busy. I will see if I have an accurate measuring device and also upload a better photo. I look for Instaflash thanks CoilyGirl[emoji106]

Upvote 0
Ok, downloaded Instaflash, hopefully better photos, I think slightly. I don't have any calipers but am going to order some because I'm hooked on this relic stuff. Over laid a clad US Quarter, hope this helps. I may give more clues on where I found this, have to consult my friends...whom have turned me on to this site.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453093753.586930.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453093767.943216.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453093782.436691.jpg

Upvote 0
Awesome token, Bedrock Bryan. Is it old enough to be gold-rush era? No doubt that either Yuba City or Marysville had a Central Bar during the early 1850's! Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Subterranean, yes the sight I'm at had pre gold rush and pre state activity. Thanks for the compliment. Should say also there was heavy traffic in 49 and 50 at this site.

Upvote 0
I'm going call this item solved enough for know, still a few questions left...was there central bar near where I found this. Next time I'm in the area I'll seek out some museums and inquire. Also bought a digital caliper to get accurate measurements. Thanks all.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back