Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

These were found at the same location as the round ball and the rivet, I have found pictures similar to the toe plate but would like some insight from the members of this forum. The piece of what I believe is lead (it is pretty heavy for its' size) has "3/4" written on either side and is slightly cupped.

20200708_095812.jpg20200708_095825.jpg20200708_095831.jpg20200708_095844.jpg20200708_095859.jpg

Thank you

Your piece with 3/4 on it is a broken bottom sinker.

Attachments

• bottom sinker.jpg
    bottom sinker.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
not a horse shoe bigscott, it's a toe plate to slow the wear of a persons shoe. these were used during the civil war as well.

Upvote 0
As for the toeplate, is it too small to be an adult's and thus unlikely to be civil war, or is it just small because the shoe would have come to a point like a cowboy boot? I am going over every piece, such as the round-ball and rivet, to see if there are enough civil war era or civil war era looking items in the location to give the location, and thus its' finds, the civil war stamp of approval.

Thank you

Upvote 0
Period correct items do not make them civil war items . military issued items such as buttons and buckles are what would give me the conformation on the site.
your items and items like them were used by civilians before and after the war. and many soldiers wore them too. but they are nice relics and worth keeping.
keep digging and enjoy the hunt..

Upvote 0
Fair, aye, Civil War period is fine by me, just need to find a button or military issued equipment before they become non-civilian.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back