Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Hunts

I went to a old resort today that I had been doing some research of it's history. I thought it would be a great place. I got to the park office and talked to the supervisor of the park to get more info. He handed me a book that was found in a local house over 50 years ago. It had a lot of pictures of the resort as far back as 75 years in it. As I looked at it I noticed that the buildings ground level was much higher. Apparently several feet of soil was removed to build sewer system in the park about 40 years ago. I decided to try it anyway. I detected for over 3 hours with hardly a diggable signal. So off I went back to my ole trusty local college that several of us have pounded to death. I decided to take Kevin Hoagland's (of Minelab) advise and slow my coil speed way down. I was impressed how the signals came in much clearer. Within 10 feet of walking I got a signal that was iffy @ 5". I decided to dig and came up with a Rosie Dime that was on it's side with a small metal nut against it. It was getting late but I got another signal @ 5" and out came 2 wheaties stacked together. Wife then called me home to evening meal. I am going to hit it again tomorrow if weather

Attachments

• File0054.jpg
    File0054.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 517
  • File0056.jpg
    File0056.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0
Re: Today's Hunts

:icon_thumright: wtg nice coins

Too bad about the dirt removal on the resort, they must have hauled it away somewhere!!!???

Oh well ya still got some silver at the old college!! good hunting. :headbang:

arthur

artzstuff1 said:
Too bad about the dirt removal on the resort, they must have hauled it away somewhere!!!???

Oh well ya still got some silver at the old college!! good hunting. :headbang:

arthur

Thanks artzsuff1. Dirt was used to build up sewer treatment area and is fenced up.

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Nice 50's Trio! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks MM. I was thinking all the time I need a 1955 coin. ;D

BandB1 said:
Slow and steady wins!

Good luck,
HH.

Yes it does. I had the pleasure of chatting with Kevin Hoagland of Minelab. He tought me a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back