rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Hunt in the Woods - Dumptastic!

Still working some woods where there is one heck of an old dump that seems to date to the early 1900s. Also some CW bullets scattered around. Found several today, some dropped and some fired and smashed all to heck. One of them looks different from the others so I'll put it in What Is It, along with this brass pipe-like thing fitted into a rubber stopper with another, narrow tube.

Also found a nice silver ring in those woods, too, and a metal plate with somebody's name and address (pre-ZIP code), and a Lady Esther compact. Not pictured: approximately 73,386 bottlecaps I also dug today.
Thanks for looking and HH

md1.jpgmd2.jpg

Upvote 6
Looks like you found yourself a great spot there! Old dumps like that in the woods can be great time capsules and snapshots of every day life from the late 19th and early 20th centuries...once you did through all that trash.

That piece of pipe looking thing is part of a bong the bottom part was glass happy huntin

If I found that ring I'd get it fixed, sized if needed, and wear it. :icon_thumright::thumbsup:

Cool unique finds.keep up the great work

Nice finds. I found one of those name plates as well, any idea what it is? I returned the one I found to the land owner, was his great grandmothers

Nice finds. I found one of those name plates as well, any idea what it is? I returned the one I found to the land owner, was his great grandmothers

Unsure what it is. The way it's constructed on the back leads me to believe it slid onto something as a label. Beneath the address it says "6 52" which makes me think June 1952.

Nice digs there! 8-)

does the ring have any makers/quality marks inside it ?

It does have something inside of what looks like a very tiny diamond shape, but even under magnification I can't make it out. I'll take it to be tested. I have one of those acid tests at home, but it's unreliable (I'll test a bar of pure silver, sterling or a 90% coin and it has no reaction).

Congrats on a great hunt! Looks like hard work, but one hell of a lot of fun!

Unsure what it is. The way it's constructed on the back leads me to believe it slid onto something as a label. Beneath the address it says "6 52" which makes me think June 1952.

I think the plate is for an early (1950's) department store credit card.
Like for Sears or some such. Dug one awhile ago that still had some plastic around it, and I vaguely remember there was writing that made me think this.
Kudos!
Carl

I think the plate is for an early (1950's) department store credit card.
Like for Sears or some such. Dug one awhile ago that still had some plastic around it, and I vaguely remember there was writing that made me think this.
Kudos!
Carl

That makes sense. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back