Todays finds

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I found all of this along with the uniface stuff posted in Toms thread. 70 degrees all weekend!!

image-4247690286.jpg

image-274696482.jpg

image-181261369.jpg

image-2361827881.jpg

Upvote 0
Look at the size of that whooper chopper! Nice and that green material on that one knife is pretty wild. You had a summers day it sounds like. Nice hunt N.C !

Nice goin man... I love big choppers like that. That was a real good day.

Good finds! Is that a spear tip in the mix pile?

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure the piece that you are calling a chopper is a flaked spade or hoe. In hunting around here my whole life, certain details have became apparent to me, that may not be present elsewhere. In the first pic of the spade/chopper, notice the sides of the piece. This is the top side, and the sides are smooth along toe top of it. I see the same on obvious spades found here. I'm thinking those spots were smoothed for hafting. It was also angled like spades I have found. I think a sharp bit was added to to this piece for cutting through roots. Just like a modern hoe, it was sharpened to a degree, but not super sharp. The piece below, was also found yesterday in the same field. Notice the bit on this piece is centered well, not at an angle. This one is a chopper, I think. The two pieces are really similar, but I believe were designed for separate task.

image-1517822131.jpg

image-2930528102.jpg

image-1125219781.jpg

All of the things stated above are from my observation, no one else. With that being said, it could all be malarkey. I wish someone could write a book that went into more depth on tool styles, and function. I would, but I lack the necessary paper work for the task. Lol. Thanks for viewing, and any info. That you can provide to back my observations or dispute them will be more than welcome. In fact, I hope some will give their opinion.

I'm sure you could find all the in depth info. You could possibly read on line.. on sites like Google scholar ...your states museum of natural history site...ect...ect.. there is hundreds of PDF file downloads that go in detailed depth of everything you are finding. They detail entire sites..describing form and function of the artifacts...with many photos.

Last edited:
looks like you had a good day.:icon_thumright:

GatorBoy said:
I'm sure you could find all the in depth info. You could possibly read on line.. on sites like Google scholar ...your states museum of natural history site...ect...ect.. there is hundreds of PDF file downloads that go in detailed depth of everything you are finding. They detail entire sites..describing form and function of the artifacts...with many photos.

Thanks Gator. It seems like In depth information on points and hard stone tools of popular variety is provided in abundance. Agricultural tools are a different story. I have searched the web and multiple books, and got vague info from all sources. I think it could be partially because these aren't the most sought after artifacts and because they vary from region to region. The land in NC alone would call for three different descriptions of these tools. I appreciate your input.

No problem. If you haven't yet.. search Google scholar for "north Carolina Native American aggricultural implements".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back