113.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 370
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
My consensus on the large rock is just that; Sorry. But you found the bottom half of a nice point. It doesn't hurt to ask, but my opinion is that it's just a peculiar shaped rock. Old digger.

old digger i respect your opinion alot ive been following this site for awhile but just became a member, its just hard for me to believe that this isnt the work of man, im the biggest skeptic of my finds and feel this is a worked hand axe

Nomad!! you said tell you what i thing so here goes, i see a nice arrowhead, a good but broken base and a mother nature made geofact that looks so much like and ax that it might have been early man's pattern but that is all it a geofact no sign of man work on it. Terry

haha thats all i need to hear thanks for the input thats why im here happy hunting!!!

i see two points, one and a half, as for the large piece its remotely possible it could have had a few large flakes whacked off it as it looks to be two different colors. I only suggest this assuming the points were found nearby? Keep Looking!

Here's my thoughts; the large reddish piece is something that I absolutely love to find, because it indicates a Native American fire-pit(atleast in my area). I call it firerock. Just think about what a rock will do if exposed to fire long enough. Yep! It turns red and shatters! I usually also dig up charred wood along with projectile points in these spots. So there you have it! That's my #1 indicator of artifacts!!! Good hunting!

Jo!! i see what you mean the redist looking parts do have the look of a fire poped rock . there should be a fire pit near where it was found, and maybe a midden what we now call a trach pile when we make it . i did not catch that red looking to much at shape. yelp a fire rock very good find. Terry

Reddish stone looks like some type of quartzite? modern knappers claim this material is one of the most difficult to work and heating it makes it more workable

flintmel said:
Reddish stone looks like some type of quartzite? modern knappers claim this material is one of the most difficult to work and heating it makes it more workable
That makes alot of sense too! Nevertheless, there should be more good stuff in that spot! Good luck

Sorry I missed your other point to the right of the larger rock. It is quite possible that the larger rock could be "fire-rock" from an old indian camp fire. As others have said, if the points were found it the vicinity it would be a good area to look. Most people don't realize that the indians actually heated the harder granite like rocks on the coals. Then they put these heated rocks into containers made of heavy rawhide ( buffalo ) to heat up and cook their foods. Just trying to help, I"ve been in your shoes before. I'm not trying to discourage you from hunting arrowheads. When I was a lot younger I found what I thought was an artifact, but it was just what I or we call a leave-r-rite "there" rock. Thanks for understanding! Old digger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back