Todays Finds. Maybe some Bone Stuff? Help!

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Finds. Maybe some Bone Stuff? Help!

Ok... I'm in a rush to get to a doctor appointment but wanted to get these up before i leave. This morning, Charlie and I hit our spot and found some cool looking items. As always with this spot, there seems to be some cool but in my experience, unusual stuff. Please tale a look and see what you think. You should know that the first two are made from bone. Has anyone seen this kind of thing? Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• Nov 10 small bone on ground.jpg
    Nov 10 small bone on ground.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Nov 10 blk in hand 2.jpg
    Nov 10 blk in hand 2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Nov 10 blk in hand.jpg
    Nov 10 blk in hand.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Nov 10 black.jpg
    Nov 10 black.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Nov 10 large bone2.jpg
    Nov 10 large bone2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Nov 10 large bone1.jpg
    Nov 10 large bone1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Nov 10 small bone3.jpg
    Nov 10 small bone3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Nov 10 small bone2.jpg
    Nov 10 small bone2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Nov 10 small bone.jpg
    Nov 10 small bone.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Nov 10 small bone in hand2.jpg
    Nov 10 small bone in hand2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Nov 10 Small bone in hand.jpg
    Nov 10 Small bone in hand.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 288
  • nov 10 small bone on ground2.jpg
    nov 10 small bone on ground2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 293
Re: Today's Finds. Maybe some Bone Stuff? Help!

There are documented bone points from the Anasazi and Hohokam cultures in the southwest. Also, the Old World around the Baltic Sea...Just my opinion, but I think that "the ones who came before" used what was available and would get the job done.

Upvote 0

oldgoat said:
There are documented bone points from the Anasazi and Hohokam cultures in the southwest. Also, the Old World around the Baltic Sea...Just my opinion, but I think that "the ones who came before" used what was available and would get the job done.

there are bone points from all around the world, but none look like what AB found, i think a majority of everyday use projectiles were made from bone, or even wood...easier to work, more readily avaliable, and not such a big deal to lose...but they disintegrate so we don't find alot of them...sorry to say, in my humble opinion, they are just pieces of bone with no work, or use/wear on them....
i can't wait till i can say otherwise for AB! good job hunting! charlie is certainly enjoying it :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

archaeon said:
oldgoat said:

there are bone points from all around the world, but none look like what AB found, i think a majority of everyday use projectiles were made from bone, or even wood...easier to work, more readily avaliable, and not such a big deal to lose...but they disintegrate so we don't find alot of them...sorry to say, in my humble opinion, they are just pieces of bone with no work, or use/wear on them....
i can't wait till i can say otherwise for AB! good job hunting! charlie is certainly enjoying it :thumbsup:

Thanks for your thoughts on this. You know.... I am not really certain that the small one is in fact bone. It may be some kind of stone but its very light. The large thing is for sure a bone material. The black one on the bottom is 100% stone. I found them all in the same place so I posted them together. There was so much activity at this site. Here is a pic of some of the white quartz flakes that I picked up the same day, along with a fragment of a trade pipe. The pipe frag is in the upper left of my hand.

Attachments

• Flakes n Pipe frag.jpg
    Flakes n Pipe frag.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back