diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hunting today at the old homesite on my property in Osceola county.My finds include an old brass heart locket,a reed&barton sterling childs fork,and something that I can't ID.It's a small round token or coin?,It's the same design on both sides only reversed.It's smaller than a dime,has a womans profile and reads;GRATIAREGINA F:D:+ELIZABETH II DEI.The second pic shows a close-up,well as close-up as I can get it.Any Ideas?

Upvote 0
There were a lot of British, Canadian and Austrailian coins issued with the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II with the same legend - ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F:D:, which means Elizabeth II by the Grace of God Queen Defender of the Faith. There were also several British military medals issued with the same design. The strange part is the reverse being the same as the front in reverse, and also the size. It seems awfully small to be a medal of any kind. It may be a token of some sort. I put in a request for information to a very knowledgeable coin collector in England that I have dealt with in the past. I'll let you know what, if anything, that turns up. And, by the way, EXCELLENT finds!! Happy hunting!

Thanks guys,BTW-that silver childs fork has initials at the top-CHP.I'm trying to research old owners of this property,try to find out if I can figure out who CHP is.If I do, maybe i'll see if they want their fork back :D if their still alive that is.The homesite is virtually invisible,just some remnants of an old wood foundation and a bunch of bricks scattered around.About the Queen Eliz.II thing,I think it may have been a charm.Upon closer examination,it looks like there may have been a loop attached to the top of it at one time.I can see,feel a couple of protrusions around the center of the top of it.Like it was one piece as in this picture;

I was going to say a charm or medalion, prabobly because even in the picture you can see the stub of a hanging loop.. and we all know they did not make coins the same on the front and back...
it also has the look of pewter or lead, are any of the edges crumbling sort of ?

You said that the back of the back of the "coin" is the same as the front, only reversed. Is it reversed in that the head is incuse (hollowed inwards) rather than relief? Are all the letters back to front? Can you post a pic of the back of it?

treasurekidd said:
You said that the back of the back of the "coin" is the same as the front, only reversed. Is it reversed in that the head is incuse (hollowed inwards) rather than relief? Are all the letters back to front? Can you post a pic of the back of it?
Sorry about that,it's not reversed,it's the same on both sides.Both sides are raised relief,both sides are identical,I think it came off a bracelet that had many of them on it,or maybe many different little charms,not all the same pattern.Now that I found initials on the small fork,i'm more interested in who it used to belong to.H.H. :) :) :) :) :) :)

bump up to revise?

Hmmmmm! I'm not seeing a picture on this end? JIM

Not sure why these are all bumped up. they are all old posts that look like Jeff has removed the pictures from. If you look you will notice that Jeff has edited all these posts. And the dates are all from 2004/2003.

Here's a photo if that's what your lookin for lonewolfe;

Attachments

• alligator lake-1.jpg
    alligator lake-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 312
  • alligator lake-2.jpg
    alligator lake-2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 311
Nice finds, thanks for the pictures I like them they look antique. I think you may have a amulet of the Queen.

Keep @ it and HH!!

I love hunting old home steads from the 1800s,thats how i found an 1880 indian head.It was my first coin from the 1800s ;)Great job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back