Today's Find

Direwolfin

Greenie
Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Exploring Narragasett Bay inlet, small inlet with tons of shellfish, birds. I stumbled on these today, possibly a small grinder and a mano.
There is an eroding hillside behind some houses along the trail. alot of public lands around here, I am actuallly impressed Rhode island. In Massachusetts only special people get to access the water areas without hassles from other humans. I am talking about without paying a parking fee. Its a beautiful bay. No wonder why so many native people lived and thrived in this area. I put the mano with my other mano shaped stones. I put the grinder with my other grinder shaped stones for the family photos

20190402_185246.jpg20190402_185444.jpg20190402_190433.jpg20190402_185623.jpg20190402_185532.jpg20190402_185706.jpg

Upvote 0
Welcome again,

Sorry, but I have to agree with Newnan man. Nothing about them says artifact in my opinion.

I too see only rocks. I have been hunting artifacts in RI for roughly 60 years, and wish you good luck.

Regarding our waters and the law. Since early colonial times, the laws have stated anybody can walk our estuary and ocean shorelines, as long as you are below the high tide line. And there are many rights of way. The biggest issue, as always, is parking. Access is one thing, parking is often where they get you. But, as tiny as we are, if you stretched out all our bay and ocean shoreline, we have over 400 miles of coastline.

This hobby involves a learning curve, and certainly includes distinguishing rock from artifact. The Robbins Museum is open Wed and Sat. That is the very best public venue where you can view every class of artifact types found in southern New England. You need to learn the types of lithics used in our region, etc. Bear down, and the learning curve will yield results in time.

Welcome again,

Sorry, but I have to agree with Newnan man. Nothing about them says artifact in my opinion.

20190403_082228.jpg20190403_082102.jpg

Well how bout these? Lol i guess my eye for manos
And grinder needs some work
Lol :4leafclover:

Now you’re talking!
The quarts point to left is a Rossville type point (and seems to be a nice example). Late to Middle Woodland age: approx: 850 years to 2200 years (BP)
-possible Squibnocket assemblage: Late Archaic: dated to about 4200 (BP)
Nice find!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back