To rtde3. Heres some help to I.D. those shark pit fossils.

Eljeef

Greenie
Apr 26, 2005
The elephant's snout.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Fisher Aquanaut 1280x, White's Coinmaster 6000
To rtde3. Here's some help to I.D. those shark pit fossils.

About eight years ago I was in the Gulf of Mexico near Ft. Meyers Beach scuba diving for fossils. I did pretty well. I think I got somewhere near 100 various shark teeth, stingray barbs, turtle shell fragments, and one piece of inner ear whale cartilage. The whale ear eventually crumbled but everything else is fine. On the back of the post-card it reads thus: "The darker teeth along the top are fossilized and from 1.8 to 65 million years old. The jawbone in the center is from a 'modern' Bull Shark. The two large teeth on each side are from a long extinct species that grew to over 65 feet in length. the white teeth across the bottom are from modern day sharks. Notice there has been little change in the shape of these teeth even after millions of years." In the photo of the earrings I made is a 'Roosy' dime for size comparison. Those are prehistoric sand tiger teeth. (Top of card, second from the right) Check them out in comparison to Carcharodon Megalodon!

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0
Re: To rtde3. Here's some help to I.D. those shark pit fossils.

rtde3 said:
Wow! Very cool! I do see some teeth that I have. I think the tooth that I thought was a Great white might be a Megalolon! Someone else told me this also. Thanks for the post! rtde3

No problem. I'm glad you saw the post. Eljeef

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back