Tiny Bullet, what kind? what era? NEW PICTURES!!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I was out at a park today with my friend RJH02.
I had a strong signal and dug and dug and the hole was deep and still nothing.
After like 8 inches I picked it up on the pinpointer and dug like another inch or so.

I was like "aw man a fishing weight" but I cleaned it off and its not. There is no holes in it at all, and there is a small indent in the side like it hit something. It's in near perfect shape and is really heavy like Lead.
Bob says that bullets were made the size of a eraser on a pencil which is how small this one is.
When did people use these? 1920? 1930? older I hope for being so far down.
I had to use the scanner, the digital camera doesn't have manual focus.

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 593
Re: Tiny Bullet, what kind? what era?

Hard to tell from the orientation of the pic,but a 22 short is very small,still being used after a 100yrs.

Upvote 0

I will try to get a better picture in a day or two if I can find someone with a good camera.

Upvote 0

Can you tell us the diameter of the bullet? That would give us the caliber and help a bunch. Looks like a lead .32 bullet possibly. If so it should weigh about 85 grains. Size and weight it about the only way you can identify many bullets. Monty

Upvote 0

I am not completely sure how to check the diameter but if I did it correctly it's 3/4" across one side face. I don't have a method of weighting it. I will see if I can find a gun shop today and see what they think.

Upvote 0

So the gun shop wasn't much help. He said it appears to be a .32 caliber. Couldn't tell me what kind of gun, what the weight is or diameter. Alot of help they were :protest:

Upvote 0

The Colt pocket pistol fired a round like that. Even sold a mould that had a round ball cavity and the picket bullet. Named after a mr pickett I recall.

Upvote 0

I have a .32 Colt ACP that shoots a similar bullet as well as a 7.62 Russian revolver that shoots a bullet similar to that. There is also a .32 Short and .32 Long Colt, . Without seeing the bullet it is difficult to tell what cartridge fired it. So, take your pick. Monty

Upvote 0

Special thanks to Bob for helping me learn how to manual focus a digital camera. Here is close up shots.

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 316
  • bullet2.jpg
    bullet2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 325
  • bullet3.jpg
    bullet3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 301
  • bullet4.jpg
    bullet4.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0
a 32 caliber copper outer core / lead inner core? aka as a "copper jacketed bullet" means more recent bullet -- older bullets (civil war era) are solid lead

Upvote 0
having been flattened like that maked diameter very hard, the post office will some times weigh things like that, or maybe your local drug seller. A carteige collecter might help. Bob

Upvote 0
The Colt 32 long was made popular by H&R as the 32 magnum.
it is still manufactured and sold as an H&R 32 magnum today.
Ruger still makes the gun as a Single Six.

The bullets can be purchased in all styles, from copper jacketed "Ball ammo to a solid lead wad cutterand semi wad cutter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back